The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question about shrimp keeping and the temps they need. I know they mostly thrive in temperature range of 70-75. Would there be any species that do well in temperature closer to 80?

My water temp hovers between 78 and 80 without a heater. Not looking to add shrimp now, but thinking ahead.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I live in California and rarely use the AC, so, when it is 100-102*F outside, my RCS tank hits ~80*F. Everything seems to be fine: plenty of babies, no deaths that I've witnessed, playing in the plants, and eating very well. Not sure how they would react to a constant (all year) temperature of 80*F, though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My cherry reds do okay in my tank which hits a high of 82F when the lights are full on, and about 78 in the middle of the night. they have babies, so they aren't overly stressed. Though they are more active at the lower temps (also when I've been doing blackouts - thus no extra energy input from the lights) and so the temps are lower in the day they are more active).

I think the key is no sudden drastic temp changes. I make sure when I do a water change that the temp of the water going is in the same or within just a couple degrees under the tanks temp.

I had an ich problem thus I raised the base temp in my tank to help keep it at bay. And everything seems to do okay, except a few plants I had that liked cooler temp ranges. They melted away, but most everything is happy. Petit nanas growing like crazy and everything else including the livestock is doing well. Been this temp range now for about 4 years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks for the feedback. The temperature should go down in a few months. But I just want to make sure that the 80 range would be ok if I want to consider shrimp-keeping in the future.

My cherry reds do okay in my tank which hits a high of 82F when the lights are full on, and about 78 in the middle of the night. they have babies, so they aren't overly stressed. Though they are more active at the lower temps (also when I've been doing blackouts - thus no extra energy input from the lights) and so the temps are lower in the day they are more active).
Blackouts? Please eloborate. I assume they are for the health of your shrimp?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I keep some Amanos and they live just fine in a 80 degree tank and a 70 degree tank just fine. Just acclimate them slowly to their living temp or you can shock and kill the little guys. Blackouts for GW I would assume.

·
Registered
429 Posts
what about temp swings?

My tank goes from 75-80 from middle of the night to day time.

My shrimp seem fine?
I would set your heater to the higher end of the temps you are getting now so that it doesn't dip up and down. Once ambient heat is no longer an issue, you can then step down the temperature very gradually over a long period by adjusting the heater, instead of having daily temp swings.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I would set your heater to the higher end of the temps you are getting now so that it doesn't dip up and down. Once ambient heat is no longer an issue, you can then step down the temperature very gradually over a long period by adjusting the heater, instead of having daily temp swings.
Thanks, I will add a heater.

·
Registered
129 Posts
CRS would die with temp swings or in 80 degrees.
I know someone who keeps their tanks in a garage, they breed slower in the summer cause of the heat but it doesn't stop them from breeding!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts