The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if triple sulfa or TMP sulfa harm shrimp? I have a touch of columnaris on a few bows in a heavily planted tank. May be too much co2, will need to treat.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Generally DO NOT dose meds in an invert tank. That being said I have no experience with the product. Why do you need to dose it?

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
he says he needs to destroy columnaris. W/e that is.

Usually the meds prob won't affect the shrimp but whatever happens to the tank's biology may affect the shrimp the most. I remember erythromycin is safe for shrimp, as an example, but there is a risk of your bacteria to die, which is not good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
sandiegoryu, columnaris is a bacterial infection of fish.
If anything, you could always move the shrimp to another tank while dosing the main one, if you never get the correct answer or are jsut very very cautious.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
sandiegoryu, columnaris is a bacterial infection of fish.
If anything, you could always move the shrimp to another tank while dosing the main one, if you never get the correct answer or are jsut very very cautious.
Ohh that's what columnaris is... I've been on this side of the hobby for so long it doesn't even register:sleep:

How many fish are you treating? A hospital tank might be your best bet since moving shrimp is a pita...

-Andrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohh that's what columnaris is...
How many fish are you treating? A hospital tank might be your best bet since moving shrimp is a pita...

Thanks but
impossible to catch the fish (9) or the shrimp (20) without tearing out the plants in a 60. The tails of two fish have obvious columnaris and if melafix won't get it I have to use antibiotics. I've looked for these particular fish for 5 years. For some reason hard water with carbon (co2 injection) cause the problem to multiply.
As a goldfish keeper I've had more experience as a fish hospital than a display tank janitor. I've keep some shrimp for almost ten years, but never shrimp and fish together, now I remember why.:(

Do shrimp tolerate Pimafix?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts