The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

I have a 30 gallon tank setup (an establish tank for over a year, just converted to shrimp) for CRS up for about 3 months now with a dozen CRS SS shrimp. The water parameters are TDS 120/130, temp 78, ph 6.4/6.6, 90% RO/10% Tap. Nitrate/Nitrite and ammonia at zero.

The tank is about half planted and does have some java moss and other assortments of shrimp approved plants.

The problem is, the shrimp do not seem to be breeding at all. Is the tank to big for them? Or do I need more than a dozen? They appear to be adults now. I am feeding different shrimp pellets, sinking wafers, flake food as well.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Jeff

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Try turning the temp down to 70/71, CRS really don't like temps of more than 75 for extended periods of time. But do it slowly as to not shock them.

Also, I wouldn't feed the crs flake food because I doubt they'd swim for it. Shrimp pellets are fine for them, if you want to spice it up than add some blanched spinach every week or two and remove it in an hour (since there are only 12 shrimp)

If they don't start breeding after that, check their gH and kH values with a testing agent (not strips, which are inaccurate) gH should be at 5-6, kH should be 0-1. Too low or high and they could be having molting problems.

Hope I helped!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I will take the temp down but the room does not get under 74. Hope that will be better. The kh is 1 and the gh is about 3 right now. I did forget to mention that. Hopefully the temp change will help.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sometimes it takes a while for the shrimp to acclimate to their new surroundings before they start breeding. It can take several months.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
As EKLiu said the shrimp need time to adjust. The time could be several months to a few weeks. My first 10 gallon was established for 1 year before I started with RCS. They did not breed for over 1/2 a year :\. They would constantly get pregnant and then drop the eggs. I set up another 10 gallon 3 weeks ago for some yellows, and those are breeding just fine.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Time and lower the temp.

That temp will stress out the shrimp and eventually cause them to lose their white coloration.

·
Registered
833 Posts
You can use a small fan to lower your temp below 74 if needed, just aim it across the waters surface.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone, I appreciate your advice and ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts