The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody out there want to help me compile a list of Shrimp species acronyms? (Its been several years since I was in the hobby- back then it was just Amanos & RCS... CRS were just hitting the scene- there are so many more now... I feel totally out of the loop!)

So, this is what I got so far:
EDIT: I'm trying to group these by species... do I have this right so far? Please correct me!

Amano: Caridina multidentata

Neocaridina Heteropoda
RCS: Red Cherry Shrimp - Neocaridina Heteropoda var. Red
>PFR: Painted Fire Red
>Taiwan Red Fire
>Sakura

CRS: Crystal Red Shrimp - Caridina cantonensis sp. "Red"
CBS: Crystal Black Shrimp - Caridina cantonensis sp. "Bee"

OEBT: Orange Eye Blue Tiger - Caridina cantonensis sp "blue"
BTOE or BOET: Black Tiger Orange Eye - Caridina cantonensis sp. "Black Tiger"
TT: Tangerine Tigers

TB: Taiwan Bee
>BKK: Black King Kong
>WR: Wine Red
>BB: Blue Bolt
>BBB: Blue Brown Bee
>Panda

Please, everybody, chime in!

·
Registered
145 Posts
CBS: Crystal Black Shrimp
OEBT: Orange Eye Blue Tiger
BBB: Blue Brown Bee (My fav, but rare and low in stocks always)

Pls correct me if I'm wrong !

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let's keep it going!

Thanks! I've added your lists... I've also tried to track down the scientific names as well.... will somebody please look them over and make sure they are right?

Also, once this list is huge can we sticky it? It would be a helpful resource for newbies and for those of us a little behind the times :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Also, am I right in assuming that Taiwan Red Fire Shrimp and Sakuras are just higher grade varieties of the good old RCS?
Precisely. The higher-grade RCS are referred to variously as "Super Red Cherry," "Painted Red Cherry," "Taiwan Fire Red," and "Sakura" shrimp. All of the above are more or less synonymous.

As for the BBB (Blue Brown Bee) shrimp you've got in your list, if it's the same shrimp I'm thinking of it's not a Caridina cantonensis variety like the Taiwan Bees. Usually I see them referred to as just blue bee shrimp (even though they're usually slate gray to brownish in color), but I have heard blue-brown bee used every now and then. In any case, the shrimp is from the genus Paracaridina and does not hybridize with C. cantonensis.

As for more acronyms, we're missing a bunch of Sulawesi shrimps:
BLP = Blue Leg Poso
WO = White Orchid
RO = Red Orchid
BDRL = Blue Dot Redline Bee
...don't think anyone really abbreviates the cardinals or harlequins, but someone pipe up if I'm mistaken.

And, I'll point out one that's been in the hobby for ages: BBS (Baby Brine Shrimp)... aka "dinner."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts