Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
146 Posts
I love dwarf cichlids! Your fish look awesome! I only have rams right now, 2m and 3 f. I am thinking of adding some Checkerboards. Will they be alright living with Rams? I have a 75 gallon with lots of wood and plant cover.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure never had checkerboards but my fish don't seem to notice each other unless their the same species like all the bolivian quarrel and the blue and gold rams chase each other but never seem to notice the apistos. Just make sure they dont get big enough to fit any other fish in their mouth and that they can live in the same water parameters :) my rams are simple to take care of but the apistos prefer much softer water and u have to male sure they eat because rams can be more aggressive eaters in my opinion. I overfeed just to be safe

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just make sure you don't have too many males they can be territorial. my 125 can barely support ky 2 ram pairs because the German blue is so over protective

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 2 male rams constantly battle. I would like them to claim territories and then just stare eachother down which is what happened in my 55 gallon tank a few years ago. But these new rams they keep fighting pretty hard. One has a bruise on his side now and the other a frayed dorsal fin..

It seems like both males want to mate with the same female, even though there are 2 other females available..

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may need to add more females though they say they choose one mate for life it isn't unheard of them to have more thab one. Are they fighting in a particular area that they both want?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes the 2 males fight on the left side of the tank. The 2 sub females mostly hang out on the right side because they get chased away by both males and the dominant female if they go near the left side. The 2 sub females fight eachother on the right side but its mild.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anything make that side of the tank special? More plants, flat rocks, a cave? They may see it as a good place to spawn unlike other areas and thats why they both want it. And thanks cynth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.