The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goldfish!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
I appreciate the suggestion, but (I should have mentioned this earlier) the tank already has about 13 danios, which would likely be eaten by a goldfish as it grows. Not to mention I am not sure I could trust a goldfish around my plants...:(

·
Registered
698 Posts
Macropodus ocellatus. Much more peaceful than M. opercularis & only grows to 3".

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Opercularis is actually high on my list, but I am not sure about it since my best odds for success (pretty close to guaranteed...I've noticed that PF's are not nearly as nasty when kept in numbers) would be to have a harem with three females and a male, and female M. opercularis are tricky to find (my sole PF at the moment, Pearl, was the only definite female when I bought her). Occelatus could be an option, but finding it - and affording it! - may be a headache.

Thedude, when you said 'killies', did you have any specific genera/species you were referring to? I know that nothos and austrolebias (both annuals) would do well in my tank and that north american killies would obviously have no problem in it, but exactly which did you have in mind?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
flagfish!
They are always an option, although the fact that they may go after plants is a bit nerve racking. Hapilly, they're another fish that seems to be less problematic in groups...and their green color would benefit a lot from my tank's front-lit setup.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Rosy Barbs

They do grow a bit large, about 2.5" 3.5", but they're gentle, active somewhat bottom oriented schoolers.. Remember to get more than 4, they'll feel more secure. They're also one of the few ornamentals that can handle water temps into the low 60's, and they eat hair algae.

Trying out a group in our Koi pond's planted filter/satellite pond.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Opercularis is actually high on my list, but I am not sure about it since my best odds for success (pretty close to guaranteed...I've noticed that PF's are not nearly as nasty when kept in numbers) would be to have a harem with three females and a male, and female M. opercularis are tricky to find (my sole PF at the moment, Pearl, was the only definite female when I bought her). Occelatus could be an option, but finding it - and affording it! - may be a headache.

They show up on Aquabid now & then & aren't usually particularly pricey; they've gone for $25.00 a pair or $30.00 for 6 juvies. Club auctions are also a good source; that's where I obtained mine. A biotope tank with them, white clouds & Puntius semifasciolatus, gold or wild type, would look fantastic.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Opercularis from Taiwan is gorgeous but you won't find them since they're threatened.
Try rainbow fish. Some live in 70F perfectly fine.

A natural sail fin molly can be beautiful. I was going to get some

·
Registered
699 Posts
As far as killies most every one of them will do just fine at room temperature and they will live longer than if have a heater on their tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts