The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What does your best male Painted Fire Red look like?

I've always heard that the males tend not to be as colorful as the females (and my experience would support this), but most of the grading scales I've seen tend to focus on pictures of females and only give text descriptions for the possible range of the males' color (example: regarding PFRs, "Males can be Sakura to almost the same as females" - Grading system of Cherry to Fire Red Shrimps). Breeders tend to hang on to their best males and only rarely post pictures of them, so I'm curious to see the range of what hobbyists consider to be "high quality" PFR males.

If you are actively trying to maintain your colony at PFR-grade, would you mind posting two pictures for us? Specifically, could you share:
-The best male in your colony.
-An example of the lowest-quality male that you won't cull (ie. anything less colorful than this gets culled). Along the same lines, at what age/size do you consider them "colored-up" enough to start making culling decisions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Male bloody mary? Highest grade red.
It's my understanding that Bloody Marys get their redness from a different mutation than the line that has been selectively bred to give us the Sakura/Fire Red/PFR variants. This is why their redness comes from their flesh instead of their shells.

I started this thread so that newer shrimpers (myself included!) would be able to form a better idea of what level of redness they should be culling for to maintain their PFR colonies and how to tell when they find an exceptional male (since the standards for males are different than females).

·
Registered
715 Posts
It's my understanding that Bloody Marys get their redness from a different mutation than the line that has been selectively bred to give us the Sakura/Fire Red/PFR variants. This is why their redness comes from their flesh instead of their shells.

I started this thread so that newer shrimpers (myself included!) would be able to form a better idea of what level of redness they should be culling for to maintain their PFR colonies and how to tell when they find an exceptional male (since the standards for males are different than females).
Wasn't aware, believe they we're just cherry picked sakura/PFR to the point where a red flesh and physical mutations happened. Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts