The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take to get show quality shrimp? Do you just keep calling? If I started with really high quality should I still wait a few generations before I entered a contest? Any other things to note when breeding for show?

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
If you think you have shrimp that look good enough to enter a contest... enter the contest. As long as you fit the rules/requirements, why not? I wouldn't wait a bunch of generations unless the rules require it.

Just keep culling if showing your shrimp is what you want to do. It may take one generation or it may take 50. Depends upon the trait(s) you're trying to strengthen or isolate. Fortunately, generations in the shrimp world come at you fast. So you definitely won't be waiting long.

The best way to get there is to focus on healthy shrimp and stability. Everything else comes down to observation on your part.

If you're breeding for show, though, at least make sure you've got at least one tank for fun. It's always great to see what cull tanks produce.

Edit: P.S. Don't get discouraged if the traits you want to strengthen are tough to attain at first. Sometimes it takes trial and error for several months or years. And sometimes what you're hoping to achieve never happens. Sometimes something else that's awesome shows up and you had no idea it was possible or that it was what you wanted until it was right in front of you.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My 75 is my cull, or like LRB says "Skrittles" tank. The colors that pop up in there are crazy and pretty entertaining. Show quailty shimp come from either show quality stock, or patience and diligent culling. I have started trying to isolate a green strain but I know I am in for some serious challenges so I'm just going to have fun wit it and see how it goes.

Great advice from @ somewhatshocked!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.