The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
No pics available, but I put two of those double ended sockets (like the ones used in bathroom fixtures or cheap ceiling lights) in an old aquarium strip light (gutted). I love it! I can adjust the wattage of the bulbs as needed and use 1, 2, 3, or 4 bulbs as desired. I used aluminum tape to make a pseudo reflector. The lamp gets warm, but I have not lost a bulb or had any problems in over 6 months of use. The light strip is 30” long and is on my 36” 33 gal tank. It grows everything I have tried.

·
Registered
804 Posts
My plants were stunted and my Java moss was dying (yes, I almost killed Java, can you believe it?) due to lack of lighting. I put 1 cfl into a clip-on light and noticed a BIG difference. Then, when my kid shattered the side on my 10g, I had a spare hood I could work with. I cut the light section out of the hood from my 10g, put 2 cfl's in it, and that is what I now use on my tank with awesome results. Doesn't look great, but I like the way it looks compared to the way it looked with that clip-light on it. Here it is:

·
Registered
278 Posts
This is a 26 watt CFL fixture that I use in my 10 gallon tank.

Here's a 46 watt CFL fixture I made for a 29 gallon tank that due to an unfortunate die off of tank inhabitants is currently in storage.

As you can see I managed to fit both of these into the standard light bar. There's no switch but they're plugged into a timer so I can control it that way.

And this is the 104 watt fixture I made for my 40 gallon long tank.

It's in a hood I custom built to give the bulbs 12 inches of clearance from the water's surface. The entire front panel of the hood is hinged at the top to give me full access to the lights and tank without having to move anything. I even took that picture without taking the hood off, just opened it up and took the picture from a low angle.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here is what I did with my 20long tank.
I used 3 walmart clip on lamps, 3 9watt CFLs.
The lamps are clamped to a square towel rod affixed to a metal shelf bracket screwed to the back of the stand.
Wow, very cool and modern looking setup for such cheap lamps. How much were they at Walmart?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Part of the appeal of spirals to me is that they fit into standard incandescent hoods, so there's little DIY required.

But I saw a particularly clever DIY setup today, and thought I'd share even though it's not mine. Although it may not be terribly efficient, it gets the job done; and you can put pretty much anything you want in this custom fixture without any wiring at all:

Source thread is here:

http://www.selas.us/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3884&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
How deep of a tank can CFL work well for? I swapped from AH Supply PCs to T5HOs and a small (70w) HQI, and it's been hell ever since. haha!

I'd like to get back to low tech, low maintenance, since I don't tinker with my tank like I used to. No time. And I have a 220g reef that consumes all of my free fish tank time. :(

My tank is 22" tall and I have a tallish hood that I could mount stuff inside of. (the 70w pendant has plenty of room, for example)

I just want to keep crypts and amazons and other easy plants.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Also, where do they sell those bulb holders that plug right into an outlet? I looked at the link that was posted and didn't see any info.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Thank you! I did notice that's a 56g tank, and that is a pretty tall tank. I had one before. It's at least as tall as mine, if not taller. Hmm..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.