The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about going very crypt heavy on my low tech 40B and am thinking crypts are going to play a major part of this tank becoming heavily planted. That being said I'm very interested in seeing any other crypt heavy planted tanks, preferably with crypt type- if possible, for inspiration. Even if it's just your favourite crypt type. All responses are greatly appreciated!!

·
Banned
628 Posts

This shoot recently emerged from the substrate. This is my last leaf of Crypt. I'm hoping it will make a comeback. I'm trying to not move that driftwood over it when I do tank maintenance.

Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here you are:
Primarily Cryotocoryne wendtii "Green Gecko", but also a few Cryptocoryne parva, and Cryptocoryne willisii throughout the tank mid- and foreground and on the sides. Make sure you don't cover the rosette from which the leaves emerge when you plant them. If you receive a new shipment and they most likely have been grown emersed at the plant farm you can avoid having to go through the crypt melt by simply cutting the leaves back to just above the rosette and the plant will then put all its energy into growing new submersed leaves right from the start.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here you are:
Primarily Cryotocoryne wendtii "Green Gecko", but also a few Cryptocoryne parva, and Cryptocoryne willisii throughout the tank mid- and foreground and on the sides. Make sure you don't cover the rosette from which the leaves emerge when you plant them. If you receive a new shipment and they most likely have been grown emersed at the plant farm you can avoid having to go through the crypt melt by simply cutting the leaves back to just above the rosette and the plant will then put all its energy into growing new submersed leaves right from the start.

Thank you so so so so so so very much!!! I've been propagating them emergent for years now and I overlooked that when I just planted about 6 bunches. Time to fix!!

One good thing about the bunches of lucens I just picked up is they are submerged regrowth. I had my buddy split them for me 3 weeks ago. I have 1 undulata in the corner that I'm going to split once it separates itself from what I think is a parvo or a scraggly lucens. I've been lucky that I have yet to have more than a couple leaves melt.

Plant Plant community Vertebrate Green Nature

·
Registered
782 Posts
This is my no-tech, low-ferts, low light tank. It is my easiest aquarium to care for, and would be a good setup for a novice to planted tanks. It's been running for years, though it got a bit of an update recently with 2 tissue cultures of undulata red that are starting to just fill in. Tank gets root tabs every once in a while plus about once a month I do a dose of Flourish and Leaf Zone.

Cryptocoryne balansae in back, probably parva (unlabeled at shop, been in there nearly 2 years) tucked front-center between the wood and in front of wood on left, and the recently planted undulata scattered all around. I've been really lucky with the undulata, which never melted at all and is actively pushing out quite a bit of new growth already. There's also a bit of narrow java fern and some type of myrio in the back left corner, and some small java ferns on rock in front waiting to move to my son's shrimp tank.

(Please ignore the hair algae. I stirred up a load of substrate while adding the undulata and splitting the parva clumps, so I'm experiencing a bit of an algae boom as a result, though it's beginning to subside.)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my no-tech, low-ferts, low light tank. It is my easiest aquarium to care for, and would be a good setup for a novice to planted tanks. It's been running for years, though it got a bit of an update recently with 2 tissue cultures of undulata red that are starting to just fill in. Tank gets root tabs every once in a while plus about once a month I do a dose of Flourish and Leaf Zone.

Cryptocoryne balansae in back, probably parva (unlabeled at shop, been in there nearly 2 years) tucked front-center between the wood and in front of wood on left, and the recently planted undulata scattered all around. I've been really lucky with the undulata, which never melted at all and is actively pushing out quite a bit of new growth already. There's also a bit of narrow java fern and some type of myrio in the back left corner, and some small java ferns on rock in front waiting to move to my son's shrimp tank.

View attachment 1026290

(Please ignore the hair algae. I stirred up a load of substrate while adding the undulata and splitting the parva clumps, so I'm experiencing a bit of an algae boom as a result, though it's beginning to subside.)
I love "good" algae- it's 100% normal and in a fish based low tech tank it's kind of a necessity. I'm following your shrimp tank build too- sounds like it's going to be very interesting!! I'm definitely going to look into ordering balansae, I think it'll go well along the back center. I'm not new to the hobby but I'm very happily getting back to basics and I'm loving the advice. This tank is in inert gravel substrate with root and flourish tabs. I'm switching from API CO2 boost to excel and going with the flourish line. Hoping this be like my betta tanks where I won't really have to maintain them besides filter cleanings, pruning and top offs and tabs every few months.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I love "good" algae- it's 100% normal and in a fish based low tech tank it's kind of a necessity. I'm following your shrimp tank build too- sounds like it's going to be very interesting!! I'm definitely going to look into ordering balansae, I think it'll go well along the back center. I'm not new to the hobby but I'm very happily getting back to basics and I'm loving the advice. This tank is in inert gravel substrate with root and flourish tabs. I'm switching from API CO2 boost to excel and going with the flourish line. Hoping this be like my betta tanks where I won't really have to maintain them besides filter cleanings, pruning and top offs and tabs every few months.
Yah, this is the tank that has the least maintenance. It's a bio-cube, so it has a built-in wet-dry filter that I filled with plastic pot scrubbers to support biological filtration (I haven't used the carbon cartridges in there in years, just a chunk of filter sponge in the intake box to catch particles). I currently have a small sponge filter in there from a currently-empty aquarium to keep the beneficial bacteria going, but it's coming back out soon. Water stays nice and clear, and the fish are all healthy. I'm considering adding some small anubias on rocks or a few more clusters of parva to break up the foreground, but haven't decided yet.

Substrate is 5 year old ecocomplete that's been in there since I set it up. The light is stock in the tank hood (old compact fluorescent type, not the newer LED model).

The only algae I usually get is a little green algae on the wood which the MTS keep to a reasonable level, and I actually think that the bit that survives the snails helps give it a more natural aged look. It's my easy-care zen aquarium.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.