The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be setting up a 5 gallon aquarium for my grandmother soon, and I'm wanting to stick to something relatively low-tech. I was thinking about maybe a moss and crypt-only aquarium? Or some other type of hardy, easy plant that has a lot of varieties but keeps a pretty similar look throughout them.

Does anyone have pictures of aquariums using primarily crypts or something along those lines they could share? I've never been able to make them look good, so seeing how other people plant them may help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a journal on this 3g bowl too. It has been going for 2 years now and a few months ago I trimmed down everything as it was getting ridiculously crowded.

I really love how full yours looks, maybe I just space mine too far apart but I always find them very lanky and horizontally spread.

For some reason crypts really like my local water. They grow like weeds.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Wow! That crypt is ridiculous. Any idea what type it is? Is that one plant or a couple planted together?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Here are my 2 . Other plants in there , but Crypts are the majority . Some of these are the largest I've ever grown and of course they all send runners everywhere...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
Just have to give crypts time to adapt and grow. Although I changed out the Anubias and Vals for Dwarf hairgrass, I left the crypts in place so you can see how sparse they were at the beginning.

They got so thick that I had to cut everything away and start fresh. The bowl was like 80% crypts at one point.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

All planted plants are crypts and then there is anubias on the wood. I think crypts look awesome with a dark background. They look mysterious to me and paired with a dark background it just sets the tone for a tank that looks like it keeps going back into the dark body of water. Looking forward to see your tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really love all of these! Definitely going to see about doing just crypts and java moss for the new shrimp tank. I'll be dry starting my moss, so it'll be a few weeks before I need to worry about shopping for the crypts at least.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a low tech with like 5 different anubias varieties, 3 crypts and different java ferns. Never have to take care of it more or less! Maybe I can get you a picture tmrw!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
This is relatively new to my tank and it needs to send runners and fill out, but this is crypt nurii rosen maiden. I'm in love with it. Already has one runner!

Here's some pink flamingo I've had for a while, but it melted back a bit after a rescape, however it's recovering well.

And my undulata red...a midground crypt that wound up being a background crypt.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The middle of my 210 is mostly crypts.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts

This is a crypt bowl I have had up for about two years. The species are axelrodi (in the middle) and parva (around the edges). I just thinned out the axelrodi around the rock and I'm thinking of adding some bigger plants in the back of the bowl to make it more jungle-y.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mooonmagic,

I am intrigued by the light on your crypt bowl. Also, is it really a one-piece glass bowl? It looks remarkably like a terrarium I have, but the glass is removable (cloche-like). Your picture made me ponder getting some silicone out to make it aquatic.

How many watts is the light? Just a single LED? I've seen terrariums with either a cork or ball of wood in the top, and this light, looking like that, just brings that to mind, but.... as a light! neat!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts