The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 130g I just tried plants again for the third time!!! Doing better this time with a good light and pressurized co2!!!

Apologize for my crappy camera

Bump: Got some better pictures left side
Right side

Reactions: morfeeis

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm a bit worried about the jack dempsey uprooting the plants and possibly ripping them up. I'd add something to the roots of the plants to make it stay in the substrate. The tank looks very nice overall and hopefully it will grow plants successfully as you said this is your third time trying to keep plants. P.S. with the good lighting and Co2, don't forget the ferts!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here's my 120G planted Rainbow Tank. I don't know what qualifies as a "bigger" tank these days. I've seen some monsters that make mine look like child's play. But it's good enough for me, and all I could fit into my den.

That's a stunning tank my friend. Absolutely beautiful. I'm going for a similar look, though with less color, more green.

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
That's a stunning tank my friend. Absolutely beautiful. I'm going for a similar look, though with less color, more green.
Thanks for the nice compliment. If you go to the thread in my sig, there is a link to a video, which gives a better idea of my set up.

My focus is actually on the fish, but plants are becoming a bigger and bigger part of the focus.

I look forward to seeing what you do with your tank.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a bit worried about the jack dempsey uprooting the plants and possibly ripping them up. I'd add something to the roots of the plants to make it stay in the substrate. The tank looks very nice overall and hopefully it will grow plants successfully as you said this is your third time trying to keep plants. P.S. with the good lighting and Co2, don't forget the ferts!
I want to get rid of him but LFS refused to kale jack demseys... And I don't have the heart to just kill him... I'm using root tabs and dosing trace elements every Friday after a water change

Bump:
Here's my 120G planted Rainbow Tank. I don't know what qualifies as a "bigger" tank these days. I've seen some monsters that make mine look like child's play. But it's good enough for me, and all I could fit into my den.
That tank is absolutely beautiful.... So jealous

Just a quick question do any of you use an air pump for added oxygen?

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
An air pump doesn't add oxygen. The surface agitation it creates does.

If you have good surface agitation, either from filter output or powerhead of some type, no need at all for air pump. I aim spray bars up at the surface for a "rippling" effect.

I've never used an air pump, and personally don't like the look of the bubbles.....but that is strictly a matter of opinion. I'm sure to some it is very pleasing, but like I said, really not necessary at all.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
An airpump helps circulate water from the bottom to the top in the absence of other circulation pumps.
Maybe not so useful for CO2 tanks, but with a big enough pump it can do some serious cleaning with a floss filter.

Other times it are useful is with very small fry.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is that large plant on the left side?
A fake plant made for like a snake cage

Bump:
An air pump doesn't add oxygen. The surface agitation it creates does.

If you have good surface agitation, either from filter output or powerhead of some type, no need at all for air pump. I aim spray bars up at the surface for a "rippling" effect.

I've never used an air pump, and personally don't like the look of the bubbles.....but that is strictly a matter of opinion. I'm sure to some it is very pleasing, but like I said, really not necessary at all.
Doesn't surface agitation also create loss of c02?? I have a big 800g/h circa pump but broke the stem on it and my last one the cat hit the return from my ehiem and it pumped all the water besides 4" on the floor and burnt out the pump.... Sad day that was... Almost had Chinese food for dinner that night

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I want to get rid of him but LFS refused to kale jack demseys... And I don't have the heart to just kill him... I'm using root tabs and dosing trace elements every Friday after a water change

Bump:

That tank is absolutely beautiful.... So jealous

You can also sell them on aquabid and ship them off. But I got to admit that jack dempsey is a beauty. If he's not messing with the plants, you're in luck and you should keep him.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can also sell them on aquabid and ship them off. But I got to admit that jack dempsey is a beauty. If he's not messing with the plants, you're in luck and you should keep him.
Odd morning some hygro ends up floating but other then that he doesn't bother anything... First night I put the clowns in he tried to eat them so I put up a divider and he had jumped it by morning and hasn't touched them since

Bump:
Nice tank GAGA. here's my 125g

I also started a thread for larger tanks, you can find it here....http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8-general-planted-tank-discussion/399249-6-foot-plus-club.html
Love the way your tank looks!!! What's the tall plants in the back I think I tried those once and they fell apart

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
Doesn't surface agitation also create loss of c02??
Oxygen and co2 levels are not mutually exclusive. That is, you can strive to have high levels of both. Yes, with more surface agitation it will require a higher co2 flow rate to maintain the same ppm of co2. But in the scheme of things, the cost of co2 itself is cheap.

I keep Rainbows, and they in particular are known to appreciate highly oxygenated water. Probably because they typically live in rippling streams in the wild.

And in general, high co2 and no oxygen = dead fish.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The plants in back from left to right are: Ludwigia repens, rotola rotundifolia, and watersprite. In front:crypt wendtii, S. repens, A.R. mini, rotola trimmings.
Might pick up some of those back plants you have once I get another light to cover my whole tank

·
Registered
566 Posts
You could buy those metal plant ties and loosely tie them around the spot where the roots meet the plant and bury the ties to keep the plants down. I have done with with wisteria and rotala with not issues. Keep it loose though, you don't want to stifle the plant.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You could buy those metal plant ties and loosely tie them around the spot where the roots meet the plant and bury the ties to keep the plants down. I have done with with wisteria and rotala with not issues. Keep it loose though, you don't want to stifle the plant.
That's what I have.... My Rotala indica clippings came shipped like that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.