The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! for the first part I want to say that getting a new tank is not an option- we dont have the money. so I have 5 guppies in a 5g tank (they where babies) but now the are bigger (had em for a few months) and I have a betta in a 10g tank. I was thinking, he does not even use all the space, and he is quite a lazy fish, so he does not explore the tank too much. but since m guppies are more active, and are a bigger group, should i move them to the 10 g, and move my betta to the 5g? and I was also wondering, we have NO artificial plants in my betta's tank, but his tail seems to be torn quite a bit. and we did not get him that way. I feel so bad for halo(my fish) and I'm wondering if there are any low budget (0-30$) treatments for him, I don't know if it affects his swimming, if he's hurting, and I dont want him to suffer if he is already. I really need advice.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I would swap tanks. How often are you doing water changes on your tanks? If there's nothing in the tank with him and water quality is good my next thought is the filter. Is it possible his fins are getting sucked into the filter? If this is the issue use panty hose to cover the intake.

If any of your guppies are female I would suggest trading them off for males or you're most likely going to wind up with a population explosion. Just a warning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi! we are doing water changes as often as people say to change it. we have a sponge filter, but he is always on it (by choice) so ill try what you said. And yes! we do have females AND males, but we know the risks. and my betta has moved tanks once before- do you think that will be too stressful for him? my dad told me that moving tanks could be stressful on fish. also thank you for responding, this has been very helpful!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It can be stressful, but you're much better off having those guppies in at least a 10 gallon and betta are ok in a heated, planted 5 gallon, if possible I'd get some floating plants at least to give your betta a quiet space at the surface of the water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.