The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
my answer is noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i made that mistake 4 years ago, and since then, my 55g is like the planet of the snails. theyre even in my filter! how do they get past the impeller?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I wanted to know i should put snails in my plant tank? Can someone help me...?
Depends on the kind of snails...

Aquabid is one source for some interesting types. At times there are some available in the S&S here.

Pond Snails are pretty common hitch hikers so no need to search them out they will come with plants at times.

Rams horn are good.

Trumpets are an option too but hid in the substrate during the day.

Keep in mind that over feeding is the usual cause of them getting out of hand.

BTW Welcome to TPT

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I wanted to know i should put snails in my plant tank? Can someone help me...?
First off what kind of snails? Pond snails are a definite no. They will eat your plants no matter what. Malaysian trumpet snails and ramshorns are good. They east dying and dead leaves and left over food. The key is to take out the eggs when you have the amount you want or take out the snails. Now if you dont want to deal with this every week or 2(especially easy on a water change day if you ask me) then dont add any.

handsomeboy said:
my answer is noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i made that mistake 4 years ago, and since then, my 55g is like the planet of the snails. theyre even in my filter! how do they get past the impeller?
I disagree. Its learning to control the population. I found this quite easily. I have 8 ramshorns in my 10g and I see eggs, all I do is wipe the eggs off the glass and toss them. Then if I find more and more I just pluck them out. As simple as that. They dont do anything to the tank except crawl on the glass.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
My philosophy on snails- If you plant it they will come!
They WILL hitchike unless you dip all new plants in a bleach or h2o2 solution, even then they may get in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just found a pretty big hitchhiking spixi snail. I have to admit it doesn't look half bad.

Unless you have some snail eater your tanks going to get snails. I just accept that and work around it. Do you feed any sinking pellets to shrimps or plecos if so they will become snail food which will make lots more snails...

·
Registered
89 Posts
some hate 'em, some like 'em

I've always had snails in my tanks, whether I wanted them or not. I'm not so fond of pond snails and I just found some in my new tanks. I'm hoping the ramshorns and MTS will out compete them, or eat their eggs or muscle them out. I've noticed before that each tank tends to have a dominant snail species, so I think some kind of snail war might go on. Does anyone know about this?

The only snails I've intentionally added were Malaysian trumpet snails. I use fine sand substrate and they prevent compaction. I've had one problem with them: the tip of their shells tends to grow BBA, then they crawl all over the tank spreading it! It looks kind of pretty though, but I feel sorry for the snails dragging that "cape" behind them through the sand. Sometimes I pick it off.

I wonder, do ottos eat snail eggs?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I love snails. They keep the tank extremely clean and eat all leftover food and detritus. They are natures tiny vacuum cleaners imo. I love the little things.

If you are overfeeding the tank then you will have a ton of snails. They are a great indicator IMO on if you are feeding too much or not.

-Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.