The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72 gallon set up. I had a brushy nose that did a great job but ate my swords. I didn't really feed him much else though. I have SAEs, shrimp, snails etc. I have noticed in the few weeks that my brushy nose has been gone the leaves of the swords have algae. I'm considering getting a brushy nose again....but feeding him veggies more consistently this time. Any thoughts on if what I'm doing is insane?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I havent had ant problems with bristlenose plecos eating my swords, I feed them algae wafers, shrimp pellets, and shrimp wafers almost every day. I have two breeding pairs. Are you sure the swords just weren't needing some root tabs or something? I think if you feed them properly you won't have issues, they were probably starving and desperate for food.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The swords are fed tabs, liquid ferts, co2. Every time I looked in the tank he was sucking the swords until the leaves were clear. I'll try another one, but make sure it is well fed this time. I had a pair of plecos, then I had 30 of them! So this time maybe just one.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Bn also love blanched zucchinis actually they go absolutely nuts over it.

Just blanch dry and freeze. I pop them in the micro for about 7 to 10 seconds to thaw them and throw them in. Theyre gone within about 2 hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
My bristle nose like to stay more on the glass than my plants, but that might just be because they are still small and there are some fun sized cichlids with them lol

I think you'd be good for a bristle nose though.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
It's a misconception. As far as I know bn do NOT eat plants. But the action of scraping algae off the plants and how rough there moth is it appears they have eaten the plant.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I agree with that. It does make the leaves pretty ugly after they get done. I picked up a little albino BN tonight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts