The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about 3 weeks ago I finally put in the MTS I had bought a while ago(10 months). Capped it with Fluorite and planted it. Bout 90% of the plants I put into it have really taken to it. So I did a parameter check yesterday, Ammonia, Nitrites, & Nitrates 0. But the pH is 8.8. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the MTS and plan to take it out, Will the fluorite be salvageable or would it have absorbed some of the components that have thrown my water parameter off.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Do you have a list of what was included in your MTS mix?
Flourite should rinse fine for reuse

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Do a few water changes (with a few days in between) and see if things level off before trashing the tank.
Recently I did a tank with 'new' EcoComplete and it took a month to quit raising my KH value, no idea what was added to it at the rock factory LOL

But it's inert again now and not bothering my water.
Maybe cure things without changing the whole tank with a few water changes.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
There is a very good chance that your pH test kit isn't working right. I would use a new test kit before I would make a big substrate change. And, even if it does check out, just do the water changes as others recommended. If you do 50% water changes once a week you can keep the pH from rising too much anyway.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I did this same thing with fluorite black sand and it was totally salvageable. What I did was to empty the tank of water & critters then carefully scoop out the top layer of sand. Then I rinsed it a few times to get rid of any soil that may have mixed with the bottom layer of sand. You will loose some of the sand/substrate due to mixing but I was able to salvage a good majority of mine. I would think that with a few rinses of the fluorite you would wash off whatever was causing the pH issues anyway.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well a little more digging and found the following.
1. Had a large piece of cuttlebone in the tank from when I kept snails in it.
2. Tested the tap water @ work and it shows up as 8.1 and checked on how the MWRA treats the water, I shouldn't be too surprise if the pH is up to 9.3.
Looks like time to invest in the RO system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts