The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took the plunge and bought a real canister filter to kind of replace my sunsun 603b. I shopped around and found a good deal on amazon, at least compared to other places since it was still $95.

It arrived today and as I inspected it I found multiple broken latches on it. One of the outer latches that hold the pump to the canister has a broken tab, so it falls off when unlatched from the pump.

The other thing was that all but one latch on the media bucket are broken, I see this as less of an issue than the canister latch since it'll be held down by the pump. It's just a downer that my new filter has broken things on it.

Everything else in the box seems to have never left the packaging, so I don't think it was a return. There is some slight damage to the box but not the shipping box. Amazon just kind of sucks when it comes to actually packing things, they just threw the box in a box with no padding or anything.

Anyway I'm maybe a week or two from actually getting to set it up on the tank so I don't want to get it wet yet. So I figured I'd ask and see peoples opinion on if it should be okay or if I should just return it and try my luck with another one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I finally took the plunge and bought a real canister filter to kind of replace my sunsun 603b. I shopped around and found a good deal on amazon, at least compared to other places since it was still $95.

It arrived today and as I inspected it I found multiple broken latches on it. One of the outer latches that hold the pump to the canister has a broken tab, so it falls off when unlatched from the pump.

The other thing was that all but one latch on the media bucket are broken, I see this as less of an issue than the canister latch since it'll be held down by the pump. It's just a downer that my new filter has broken things on it.

Everything else in the box seems to have never left the packaging, so I don't think it was a return. There is some slight damage to the box but not the shipping box. Amazon just kind of sucks when it comes to actually packing things, they just threw the box in a box with no padding or anything.

Anyway I'm maybe a week or two from actually getting to set it up on the tank so I don't want to get it wet yet. So I figured I'd ask and see peoples opinion on if it should be okay or if I should just return it and try my luck with another one.

I have had multiple instances of receiving damaged/broken Eheim classic canister filters from Amazon. It's like Eheim uses the most brittle green plastic ever on their canister, and those little latch lugs are right against the side of the cardboard box, so they're easily broken off.

I have returned 3 until I finally got a good one. Then I bought a second one and it came with one broken lug/latch holding the top to the canister. I decided I didn't want to go through the roulette again and kept it, and it's been fine.

They're great filters overall, though. Just know that if you replace it, there's a good chance it'll have similar issues. But if you're not exhausted by the process, I'd go ahead and return it and try again. Maybe buy a second before returning it in case you need to combine the wreckage of two mishandled filters to make one useable.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I've been lucky I have a 2211,2213 and 2215 and they all came in fine condition. Love my Eheims, but the one achilles heal for me is that impeller shaft/stick. I've broken a few and I'm always hesitant to open the impeller housing to clean it. In fact my 2213 running now doesn't even have it in and it seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will probably work with the other 3 latches since there's an O-ring around the pump, but if there's multiple things broken I'd return it. Why should you accept it that way.
I'm hesitant to return it because it might just happen again the next time and it's a PIA to ship stuff for me since I live in the middle of nowhere and have to make a 40 mile round trip to ship ups.

I have returned 3 until I finally got a good one. Then I bought a second one and it came with one broken lug/latch holding the top to the canister. I decided I didn't want to go through the roulette again and kept it, and it's been fine.

They're great filters overall, though. Just know that if you replace it, there's a good chance it'll have similar issues. But if you're not exhausted by the process, I'd go ahead and return it and try again. Maybe buy a second before returning it in case you need to combine the wreckage of two mishandled filters to make one useable.
This is exactly what I was thinking, you can see on the eheim box exactly where the latches were rubbing/hitting. It looks like the latch will still work but will fall off every time I remove the head, I'm just worried it might be worse the next time.

I've only ever returned one thing on amazon. Did they cover the second/third return, or did you end up paying shipping on those?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm hesitant to return it because it might just happen again the next time and it's a PIA to ship stuff for me since I live in the middle of nowhere and have to make a 40 mile round trip to ship ups.

This is exactly what I was thinking, you can see on the eheim box exactly where the latches were rubbing/hitting. It looks like the latch will still work but will fall off every time I remove the head, I'm just worried it might be worse the next time.

I've only ever returned one thing on amazon. Did they cover the second/third return, or did you end up paying shipping on those?
They covered all returns because the items were defective/damaged.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As an option if you dont have a LFS that you can drive to, do you know of any LFS within a reasonable radius to your location? Maybe you could convince them to ship one to you packaged all nice so it doesnt get damaged?
I do have a LFS(Near the UPS store) but they don't really carry stuff like this otherwise I would have purchased it from them. They have a basic selection of tanks and equipment, some cool fish, but I feel they favor reptiles. Amazon also had the lowest price among various online stores(that I felt comfortable with) which was a big factor.

If it helps you could also return most items to Kohl’s and Whole Foods.
If only, we just got a market basket. It's the first new store around here in probably 15 years haha

I might try my luck on a return since it's not majorly urgent.
Anyone have luck with any other online store that has better packaging?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I would return it, the broken latch in pic #1 won't evenly hold the metal clip properly, not sure on the media basket as I haven't used a Classic filter with one.

Reactions: Scully

·
Registered
381 Posts
Um... All EHEIM products that use latches with hooks built into transparent-plastic cansiters are to be avoided. This applies to EHEIM Classic series as well as to EHEIM Ecco Pro series. These latches generally cannot withstand the loads involved when closing the filter. They are guaranteed to crack sooner or later, requiring replacement of the canister part.

Bascially, it is 2022 already, when EHEM stands a tier or two below Sunsun in terms of quality and reputation. You can still get away with square-profile EHEIM Professionel series, which seem to hold their water pretty well (in all meanings), but for many other models swicthing from Sunsun to EHEIM would be a downgrade. Which makes one wonder what you mean by "real canister" above.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Um... All EHEIM products that use latches with hooks built into transparent-plastic cansiters are to be avoided. This applies to EHEIM Classic series as well as to EHEIM Ecco Pro series. These latches generally cannot withstand the loads involved when closing the filter. They are guaranteed to crack sooner or later, requiring replacement of the canister part.

Bascially, it is 2022 already, when EHEM stands a tier or two below Sunsun in terms of quality and reputation. You can still get away with square-profile EHEIM Professionel series, which seem to hold their water pretty well (in all meanings), but for many other models swicthing from Sunsun to EHEIM would be a downgrade. Which makes one wonder what you mean by "real canister" above.
I take it you've never used a sunsun 603b, it has to be pretty much at tank height just to move water. The connectors are poorly designed too, I needed to put hose clamps on them so they wouldn't leak. That and I had to mess with the O-ring for awhile just to get the lid to not leak, even with the better clamps. The sunsun that would be directly comparable to this eheim is just as much if not more expensive and has mixed reviews. Versus eheim which has overwhelmingly positive reviews on every forum for over 20 years, my problem is mainly with amazon's shipping.

That said, I ended up having the day off so I returned the eheim. I should have another by friday or saturday. If this one is busted too I might return it and buy a 2215 off of chewy and see if they're any better at packing. I should probably go with the 2215 anyway but amazon didn't have any in stock.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Eheim filters are good, and when used the way an aquarium hobbiest uses them, they last a long, long time. They're just not made and packaged to survive the kind of shipping we subject them to, and I wish this would change.

Maybe Sunsun survives shipping better, but the only canister I've ever had that leaked was a Sunsun. And I've had Magnums, Fluvals, a Sunsun, and Eheims. When I can get an Eheim that survived transit, it's fantastic. One of mine is 15 years old.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That said, I ended up having the day off so I returned the eheim. I should have another by friday or saturday. If this one is busted too I might return it and buy a 2215 off of chewy and see if they're any better at packing. I should probably go with the 2215 anyway but amazon didn't have any in stock.
If you have the 40 bucks extra and don't mind the bigger tubing, Chewy has the Eheim Pro 4+ 350 on sale, which is a hell of a filter :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you have the 40 bucks extra and don't mind the bigger tubing, Chewy has the Eheim Pro 4+ 350 on sale, which is a hell of a filter :)
That'd be nice but that would also be another $40 on top of the extra $40 the 2215 would be haha. Also I'd like to keep the 1/2" tubing as I've made a number of spray bars/intakes/pipes for them. It's probably WAY overkill for my 10 gallon tank, even with the DIY inline heater.

Although you do have me thinking that maybe I could just use it later on if I upgrade to the ~40 gallon bowfront I have at my Mom's house. I'd just need a permanent place and to convince her to take her house plants/decorations out of it 🤔

·
Super Moderator
16,973 Posts
Glad you chose to return, @Scully. Though, Amazon customer service should have been able to get you a USPS return label so you didn't have to drive anywhere. Keep that in mind for next time.

Guess, I'm the luckiest person in the wooooooooorld!
I've got Eheims of various ages and have weirdly(?) never had a problem regardless of where I've purchased them. So it's not just you. Have a 2213 that's been running since sometime in 2010/2011 and I've barely had to do anything in terms of maintenance. Have squeezed the sponges out a couple times per year (sometimes less, if we're being real here) and occasionally greased up the o-ring. They just work.

I find that the latches are perfectly sturdy if you're not careless with them and the filters themselves are for sure some of the best quality I've ever used. My oldest has been going strong for 20+ years and my newest is from last year when Marine Depot liquidated everything. Honestly, it's tough to tell which unit is which when they're side-by-side.

They're just not made and packaged to survive the kind of shipping we subject them to, and I wish this would change.
Think part of the problem is the lack of care in packaging for sure. Most anyone packing and shipping from a pet-centric retailer is going to put in a lot of effort to get packaging right. Not sure those in overworked warehouse conditions with no idea what an item is have the time to care. So unless the wholesaler makes it a point to push Amazon to pack items a certain way, they're just gonna get placed in whatever box and in whatever way the worker sees fit. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't and that's the part that sucks/gets the anxiety worked up.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I take it you've never used a sunsun 603b, it has to be pretty much at tank height just to move water.
That I can't explain. You must be misinterpreting something. Canister filters by pure physics are completely insensitive to height. No "bad" or "good" design or quality can change this.

Speaking formally, it is a closed system with zero static head. This is, again, pure physics.

The connectors are poorly designed too, I needed to put hose clamps on them so they wouldn't leak.
I always put regular hose clamps on all of my connections, unless something proprietary is supplied with the filter. That's just standard practice.

Not even mentioning that once that EHEIM develops a cracked latch for the lid, you will get one hell of a leak no hose clamp can fix.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts