The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cabinet I got from Target a few months ago that's held my 5 gallon (Spec V) and a 1 gallon (Marina Cubus) since I got it. I've been wanting to upgrade to a ~10 gallon and I'm worried about the extra 4+ gallons with the cabinet. The 1 gallon won't be on the cabinet anymore.

I'd rather not buy a new stand since it was kind of expensive (for wood composite/veneer...) and I like the way it looks. Unfortunately the specs for the cabinet's max load isn't available on Target's website.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not the cabinet should be reinforced or if it'll probably be fine?

·
Registered
115 Posts
it almost looks like its bowing in the middle already ... wouldnt hurt to reinforce it a bit ... never know when someones gonna come along and bump it

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I was afraid of. Has anyone tried reinforcing existing furniture like this? Not sure if I'll try it but curious if I would just use some crossbeams or something.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Hi guvmarley,

Welcome to TPT!

It is obviously not built to be an aquarium stand, however a 10 gallon aquarium with gravel/substrate and light will likely weigh less than 120 pounds. Play it safe, have a +/- 200 pound guy sit on the stand, wiggle around a little bit, and if the stand doesn't wobble or the legs fall off it is probably good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i reinforced a pair of tables to hold my 30 .. but didnt care how pretty it looked
just a few extra legs supporting the top ... 1 between the tables 1 inside of each and 1 on either side

·
Registered
148 Posts
i reinforced a pair of tables to hold my 30 .. but didnt care how pretty it looked
just a few extra legs supporting the top ... 1 between the tables 1 inside of each and 1 on either side

I would be more concerned about those four skinny legs more than anything, I build custom aquarium stands and just by looking at your pictures it should be ok but I wouldn't trust those legs. If you cut them off flush to the bottom it should be ok, can you post a picture of the whole bottom?

I know these aren't 10 gallon tanks but like I said it's better to be safe then sorry later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guvmarley,

Welcome to TPT!

It is obviously not built to be an aquarium stand, however a 10 gallon aquarium with gravel/substrate and light will likely weigh less than 120 pounds. Play it safe, have a +/- 200 pound guy sit on the stand, wiggle around a little bit, and if the stand doesn't wobble or the legs fall off it is probably good.
haha thanks, I will try that with a friend ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

This isn't a great photo showing the legs but you sort of get the idea. Actually of the whole cabinet I think I'm least concerned with these. They were the most sturdy part during assembly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ok, that's a lot better! I'm the other pictures it looked like little legs just coming off the bottom, you should be ok

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I feel a bit different about this. I don't think it's ever a good idea to "reinforce" most existing furniture to hold an aquarium.

Water weighs about 8.3 pounds per gallon, and by the time your add a substrata, some rocks, and the rest of the equipment, your will over 100 lbs for that 10 gal tank.

Get a for real aquarium stand, and you'll sleep a lot better at night. Building an aquarium stand is also an option, and not at all difficult to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts