The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15g column tank that is heavily planted. Started out with tetras before I realized they need more horizontal space. Currently the tank is stocked with cherry shrimp, one oto, and three neon tetras. I’m getting a few more oto’s and considering taking the tetras back to the LFS, and possibly picking up some chili rasboras or CPD since they seem to do better in smaller footprints. Should I just leave it an oto/shrimp tank or is there sufficient room for nano fish?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Either is a possibility, it's all on your preference. Depending on your experience level otos might be a bit of a pain as a starter fish. They are very sensitive and have a tendency of being picky eaters. I'm not discouraging you from keeping them, just giving you a heads up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would probably take the neons back, shrimps and otos would be good (otos are shoaling fish, more is probably better) and some nano rasboras or ember tetra might work. they stay quite a bit smaller. I'm sure a betta would do alright too, that gives you a nice center piece fish to look at. If youre okay with the betta possibly eating some baby cherry shrimp. I like it personally, Creates a sort of ecosystem that I enjoy. Im no expert tho, just what ive seen

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
321 Posts
I would do a shrimp-only tank. Ottos always without fail die within a week of me buying them. And not from the same illness. I quarantined and treated but the all die in my experience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I’m considering taking the oto back with the tetras and getting a small school of nanos, like celestial pearls or chili rasboras. I do like the oto’s though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would do a shrimp-only tank. Ottos always without fail die within a week of me buying them. And not from the same illness. I quarantined and treated but the all die in my experience.
hmmm, maybe you can post about it with more detail and one of the experts can help you figure it out. Ive have a few in my 5 gallon heavily planted tank with a betta, a few amanos and a small school of CPD's. its been working very well for about 6 months with no deaths. I really like otos, nerites and amanos for a clean up crew. Together they pretty much cover all types of algae ive had.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
My first one was, then I added 2 more for a small shoal. since its only a 5 gallon
Lol I meant the OP. Usually if you have good luck with a single from a reputable lfs your odds of keeping them alive (especially if they have been there for a couple weeks) is a lot better. If you have to travel with them the odds of death grow. I've lived by a few rules with oto- an area of flow, an area of calm, keep them in as large a group you can and have a mature tank.... I have a single oto mocking me for it 😂 it's VERY hit or miss with oto.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nano fish and shrimp could get on just fine in that tank.
I've kept chili rasboras with shrimp and saw baby shrimp swimming in the open water.
I also have had only bad luck trying to keep Otos.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
Update: my wife likes the Tetras so they are going to stay. Can I still fit a few nanos like cpd or chili rasboras in there?
yeah man, you can do whatever you want! haha, seriously yes, those fish will be fine in there. The only issue you have is your bio load. I have a few tanks that I run heavy, but have a canister running and clean it out more often then the recommended.

If you add those, I might recommend taking out the Oto. 1 cause they are difficult. I am having troubles with mine. I had 6, went down to about 3 or 4 then back up to 9, it's been 6 months since getting the first few and I only have 4 now. No signs of why they died. Some looked alive still when I pulled them (color only, obviously dead). 2 to keep them happy you really should have 6+. that with what you have listed here will probably be a bit much.

Having said that I know I would end up getting 5 more Otos and also getting some Embers or something. lol, just do more changes and heavily plant.
Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.