The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm restarting my 75g planted tank after 2 years hiatus. Got everything setup, only to find the SMS122 ph electrode not working correctly. That thing was used for 7 months and not used for 2 years, but always in the water (never dried). The sms was reading 7.3, while the fish are almost dead and AP pH test said 6.4. Initial water parameters were kH=12, gH=25+, pH=7.6-7.8 approximately.

Anyway, this time, I'm going to use my eyes this time and tried to get the CO2 right first before increasing light.

Questions:
1. Is drop checker necessary? I figure as the plant load is increasing I would need more CO2 injected. Which brand you guys recommend and what solution?
2. Later down the road, I may want to try softer water through RO. I would like to keep neon tetra. Everything being equal (plant load, light, CO2 bps, etc), I should be able to keep the same CO2 bps as I have in hard water, right? I mean, going to soft water doesn't require me to inject more or less CO2?

MrBlackThumb

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The Ph Monitor isn't needed unless you have a lower quality needle valve and solenoid I wouldn't worry about replacing it the other hardware is more important.

Answers (IMHO)

1.) Yes, greenleafs "CAL AQUA "Oracle" Drop Checker" would be a good one.

2.) You should be fine.

- Brad

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'd spend the money on a quality needle valve before going for the PH Monitor.

Consider Cardinal tetras, they tend to be hardier than Neons, look the same just a little bigger whcih might be good in a 75g tank.

I Second GLA for drop checkers. Take your pick, they're all good.

Good Luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have splitter that has built-in bubble counter which also has check valve. This is the type that you open the brass top to fill in glycerine. There are 3 of them split from the solenoid. Are these considered good needle valves?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.