The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank is brand new and I am still waiting to plant some ar mini in the back left corner. Lights are high (100par+) and I have co2. Needs to grow in a bunch still.

Nitrates out of the tap are 5-15 depending. I would like to make a solution and take into consideration the nitrates out of the tap. Should I do a lower dose of ei and reduce nitrates even more to compensate or just go full ei and make sure to not miss water changes? See pic below for plant mass

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you decide to go the route of dosing less nitrates, keep in mind most often we use kno3. You would need to find an alternative k source, so you aren't short potassium
Didn't think of that but I did buy the ppspro fert pack from gla which does have a potassium source. I just don't use it now in my ei solution for my other tank because I dose kno3 and phosphates (forgot the chem breakdown).

·
Registered
289 Posts
for a brand new tank I wouldn't go more than 20-30 par until you can get your nitrate cycle going. without it you'll have a build up of ammonia and just lots of algae. also with that plant mass 1/3 ei will be more than enough.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
What's your substrate? Also consider reducing your lights - the plants you have only need half that at most. I have hairgrass growing in dim areas of my tank that are ~20 PAR. Such high light makes things much more difficult and unstable, especially in a new tank when plants are still acclimating and not photosynthesizing vigorously yet.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's your substrate? Also consider reducing your lights - the plants you have only need half that at most. I have hairgrass growing in dim areas of my tank that are ~20 PAR. Such high light makes things much more difficult and unstable, especially in a new tank when plants are still acclimating and not photosynthesizing vigorously yet.
The substrate is inert Petco black aquarium sand with osmocote plus root tabs. The nitrogen cycle is in full swing. I had prepped this bio media for several weeks before setting the tank up. Because of the nitrates out of the tap, I was going to severely reduce kno3 addition or eliminate altogether. how would I factor in potassium sulfate as a replacement potassium Source if I did so? I am looking to make 10 milliliter dosing with a 500 milliliter dosing solution dosing micro and macro each 3 times a week.

I also just removed one bulb and tried to angle the other in such a way to reduce par.

Thanks for any help. I have been using some calculators but found it difficult seeing as how you have to calculate each nutrient seperately when removing kno3 as a potassium Source.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.