The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tank I am considering putting them in is a ten gallon, the other tank mates are a few juvie guppies, a plakat betta, an adult apple snail [one inch], nine apple snail juvies, [about a cm long] a few mts, and some cherry shrimp juvies.
Currently there is three cories as well, a spotted, an albino and an emerald. They came from my 50 gallon, and will go back into it if i decide i want pygmy cories.
The cories currenty residing in thwe ten gallon seem so big! I know pygmy cories are about two cm long, but thats about how big my gup juvies are, so its perfect!
Anyone have advice or info for me? Ive been researching, though id like to hear it from people who have actually kept them.
=]

·
Registered
126 Posts
I personally love my pygmies! they like to hide in my plants a lot but its really cute when they come out and school with my harlequins when I feed them. I also tend to like smaller fish so that's always been a plus for me.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
For a 10 gallon, pygmies are the way to go. Just make sure you get at least 4. Some will tell you that you need 6, but I have kept a group of 4 cories successfully.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
These guys are timid by nature due to their size so they will do far better in numbers. Get a school of 6-8 or otherwise add them to fish of similar size. These school great with my strawberry rasboras and ottos though the ottos move Much faster. They tried to school with the h.formosa's but these guys are more shoalers so they pretty much ignored them.

Also worth noting that cores in general are delicate and sensitive to poor water conditions. More so of the pygmae variety. Just be aware.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love my pygmy and dwarf cories. I have pygmies in two tanks and dwarfs in two tanks. I also have albinos, but the little ones are awesome!

·
Registered
421 Posts
What species are around?
There are 3 species of dwarf Cory (that I know of):
C. Pygmaeus - Pygmy Cory
C. Habrosus - Salt n Pepper Cory
C. Hastatus - Tail-spot Cory

The first two are relatively common in my area so of course I had to go to the trouble of finding Hastatus but I'm so glad I did. They scour the bottom like you'd expect Cories to do but they also do this thing where they hover in the mid-levels of the tank and just seem to observe. Great little fish. Adorable too.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have the hasbrosus and they are so cute. Started with just 3 in a 5 gal with male guppies originally, now with CPD's. After about a year they surprised me by breeding successfully (believe I have 2 F, 1 M). Sold about 3 doz to LFS, moved 4 to another tank and still have the original 3 adults and about 7-8 of their offspring in the 5 gal. Bought a Spec V today and will be moving some out to that tank when cycled.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
go pygmies, go pygmies, go pygmies!

I have C. pygmaeus & C. Hasbrosus and I love em both.

I just started a 10G NPT breeder colony of 9 C. Hasbrosus and I hope to use the grow-outs for a 40B that I intend to have @ least 20 C. Hasbrosus . YES YES YES!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts