The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10W SANSI LED bulb on my UNS 45S aquarium. I'm dosing NilocG Thrive (low to moderate dosing) and the substrate is partially UNS Controsoil. The tank doesn't have any CO2, but I read on 2hr aquarist that shallower tanks tend to have more CO2 in the water column. It's still a low tech aquarium though.

The plants in the tank are
  • Eleocharis acicularis
  • Eleocharis parvula
  • Staurogyne repens
  • Cardinal plant (Lobelia cardinalis)
  • Anubias nana
  • Bucephalandra sp.
  • Cryptocoryne sp.
  • Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae)
  • Dwarf Sag (Sagittaria subulata)
I feel like the SANSI might be too much light for this tank. Am I right? If so, what bulbs would be better?

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
433 Posts
10W would likely be fine. I just wonder how it's set up? Basically for coverage. I usually us an LED light bar, it has 12W, on a tank this size. So 10W is fine depending on scape and placement of the bulb. At least in my opinion. Probably also depends on what plants are in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use 15 to 18 watts leds bar on 10 gallons and adjust it between 70 to 80% . Why you call it bulb , leds are diodes not bulb

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10W would likely be fine. I just wonder how it's set up? Basically for coverage. I usually us an LED light bar, it has 12W, on a tank this size. So 10W is fine depending on scape and placement of the bulb. At least in my opinion. Probably also depends on what plants are in there.
The plants are in my original post. The light actually quite high above the tank right now, as the lamp is not the right size. I need to get a new lamp.

I use 15 to 18 watts leds bar on 10 gallons and adjust it between 70 to 80% . Why you call it bulb , leds are diodes not bulb
I said bulb to differentiate it from an LED bar. It is an LED light, but it's in bulb shape.

I should say that the SANSI is extremely bright for it's wattage. I have this 9W LED bulb on my other tank and it is way, WAY dimmer than the SANSI. I just bought a 12in 11W NICREW SkyLED and the SANSI is definitely brighter than that too.

The light has a PPF and PPFD of 16.8 umol/s and 98 umol/s/m^2. I guess these are measurements of PAR?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The plants are in my original post. The light actually quite high above the tank right now, as the lamp is not the right size. I need to get a new lamp.

I said bulb to differentiate it from an LED bar. It is an LED light, but it's in bulb shape.

I should say that the SANSI is extremely bright for it's wattage. I have this 9W LED bulb on my other tank and it is way, WAY dimmer than the SANSI. I just bought a 12in 11W NICREW SkyLED and the SANSI is definitely brighter than that too.

The light has a PPF and PPFD of 16.8 umol/s and 98 umol/s/m^2. I guess these are measurements of PAR?
I did some researching and it sounds like this light has a PAR of 98 at 1ft if the above numbers from Amazon are to be trusted. I think this is considered high light right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is setting your self up for failure for multiple reasons.

1. They lie about its power and intensity
2. I bought a light from then, returned it right away, the quality control is abysmal, my lights had black specs in it and they blamed it on dust... in a sealed light unit....
3. External grow lights and fish tank lights are turned to different spectrums, certain spectrums trigger algae growth, which isn't a problem for normal plants but is a big problem in the fish tank.
4. Its more of a concentrated spot as opposed to spred out even light, this causing hot spots in your tank. You will have to adapt to this accordingly with plants.
5. It may not be dimmable - u have to check. If it's not and you get plant stress due to excessive lighting u will have algae problems since you can't reduce

My 2 cents, get a nice even plant light with great coverage and design. The light should last you 5 to 10 years, even if you got a 100 dollar light light the onf flat+, it comes out to 10 bucks a year or like .80 cents a month. You can probably find cheaper fish tank lights though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dont put the light too near the aquarium water surface put about 5 inches above.
So that the algae growth will slow down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts