The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Here is my DIY cabinet and custom tank to fit my alcove. I am trying to decide if I should fit a black background or leave it as is. The walls behind and on the right are grey and a wallpaper pattern on the left. The tank will be planted and will have a black substrate. I'm in two minds as I think that by having black around the tank will make the plants and fish 'pop', but leaving it open may look more natural? (wallpaper pattern aside!)

Option 1. Leave it as is
Option 2. Fit black background to back face only.
Option 3. Fit black background to back, right and half of left side (up to masking tape)

I'm thinking 1 or 3. Need some other input. What do you reckon?

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
50 Posts
I vote option 3, because it would annoy me seeing the wall thru the tank.

I think especially with a dark substrate having a dark background intensifies focus on the contents not what's behind the tank.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I agree with option 4. White shows off a planted tank and it's inhabitants beautifully. The light is reflected around the tank and really makes it 'pop'.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for your input guys. I have decided to go with option 3. Hoping that the black will make the colours more vivid. I've got some stuff called Marina Clear View solution for attaching the background, it's like an oil. Has anybody used this or similar products? Any horror stories ? Peeling off etc ? I do want to get it nice and close to the glass with no bubbles so it looks pure black.

Paul

·
Registered
530 Posts
IMO, adding black on the sides will make the tank look smaller. You can add and compare...then make the decision. I would leave it as is. No black aground at all.

Use clear tubing and glass lily pipes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts