The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stated a 29gallon planted tank about four weeks ago. I got 10 shrimp (5 amanos and 5 RCS) a little over a week ago. One RCS has died. There are some green hair like algae on the glass and on a few plants. I'm just wondering if it's necessary to feed the shrimp also? I'm wanting them to eat the algae and not rely on the food that I give them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been breaking off maybe 1/8th of an algae wafer and dropping in there every evening and they seem to take turns eating it. But the fact that one died Saturday night had me concerned that something wasn't right.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'll put money on it that it didn't die from lack of food.

You'd be surprised how long they'll live off stuff they find in the tank. I have an RCS that survived in a 10g for almost 3 months because I didn't know he was there with no food, little light, no water changes and no heat. They'll find plenty in a tank that size to eat. Now that I know he's there, I feed him, of course. It would really depend on how mature your tank is, but you could get away with not feeding them for a long, long time.

That said, the fact that they're surviving doesn't mean they're happy and thriving. They'll probably stress and likely lose a lot of color if you don't feed them.

Long and short of it: be friendly and feed them. They'll love you for it. But your shrimp won't die in a week or two from lack of food in a mature tank.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I'll put money on it that it didn't die from lack of food.

Long and short of it: be friendly and feed them. They'll love you for it. But your shrimp won't die in a week or two from lack of food in a mature tank.
I agree. On my 55g, I can go for a month or two w/out feeding if I need to:hihi:

The one that died probably just was too stressed from the shipping. Occasionally when I've received cherries one or two (out of 20-40) will just die a day or two later at random.. thats when I get NO DOAs.

-Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.