The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 40 gal. breeder tank w/ stand. I also got a filter for it.

I guess it was an impulse buy since I've missed out on a few good tanks before due to my undecisiveness. I have to move in about 15 months and there's no way I can take the tanks with me...

Should I even bother setting it up as a planted tank? It'd take a while to setup to my liking and then for it to mature...by then it might be a good 10 months!

I'm just thinking of having to part out the tank and equipment, hardscape, plants, livestock. That's a lot of money down the drain!

What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be moving out of state when I finish grad school.

And yes, very very tempted to set it up, but it's a lot of work to setup and a lot of work to break down. Plus the financial aspect of it all!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
what?! your going out of state? Darn. One less in SCAPE. O yah I have to pay dues. :-D. Mebbe you should set it up, grow as many plants as you can without really scaping it, and sell the plants to take out cost of tank etc. Hehe nvm seems impossible. You could always give it to me :-D. Jk.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would try to sell it to a local enthusiast, I know that saltwater folks are always looking for 40-breeders for various projects so you may look there. You will probably not make back your original investment, but that is to be expected with "used" goods.

If you really do want to stay in the hobby and cannot go 15 months without a tank, why not try a low-tech nano? It doesn't even have to be custom, just pick up an AGA 10 or 20 gallon somewhere and enjoy keeping things simple. Heck, why not try to keep it below 100 dollars, or even 50! I know it can be done, especially if you are resourceful and, shall we say, charismatic. ;)

Marty

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would try to sell it to a local enthusiast, I know that saltwater folks are always looking for 40-breeders for various projects so you may look there. You will probably not make back your original investment, but that is to be expected with "used" goods.

If you really do want to stay in the hobby and cannot go 15 months without a tank, why not try a low-tech nano? It doesn't even have to be custom, just pick up an AGA 10 or 20 gallon somewhere and enjoy keeping things simple. Heck, why not try to keep it below 100 dollars, or even 50! I know it can be done, especially if you are resourceful and, shall we say, charismatic. ;)

Marty
I think he already has tanks he should be worrying about at the moment :-D.
Hehe, I have a few 10 gallons, a 7 gallon cube, a 5 gallon....etc already.

My tank and stand was only $150 since I got it used myself. ;)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Why not just set it up as a plant growing farm? Lots of substrate area. It doesn't need to be a full blown setup. Doesn't require an insane amount of attention like a tank full of plants, fish, inverts, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.