The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the cheapest substrate possible, but I am now wondering if it was a mistake. Its been a day so far..should I change my substrate to something else or keep it as it is? I just bought 50 cents per pound sand.

Also I am very new to planting and I am not sure if I planted right :(

What other plants would you guys recommend ? I am currently running 3.5 gallon nano

·
Registered
10 Posts
In that small of a tank I think what you're using will be just fine, however, I'd recommend using some sort of root tabs. Hope that helps!
Edit: It also wouldn't hurt to make a small DIY CO2 setup with a 1L coke bottle.
As for plant recommendation, it really depends if you plan on using CO2, ferts, root tabs, upgraded lighting etc.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I wouldn't change it unless you don't like the looks of it. All I use is inert sand and all my plants grow fine. As mentioned above get yourself some root tabs and you will do just fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would suggest changing it as you are only one day in, it's much easier now than down the road. Also, while plants might be fine for the meantime, in a very mature aquarium, there will not be enough nutrients for long-term sustained growth. I can explain this more in depth if you need me to, but basically even with root tabs, sand will not harbor these nutrients and they will just deplete out into the water column and be removed from the tank with water changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts