The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that a darker substrate will make my RCS more red (can someone confirm this?).

But, I have some concerns to what potential problems may occur if I go through with the substrate change.

So, here are the things I am concerned about:

If I remove all of my current substrate to replace with new substrate. Will there be enough beneficial bacteria to cycle my tank? Will my filter sponge supply enough?

Will the move for the RCS be too stressful or will they be okay? I plan to net them all and put them in a temporary holding cell (a bucket lol) so I can remove all the substrate.

and lastly, will it be okay to move the baby shrimplets with a net? They'll be fine right?

Thanks for reading.

P.S: Removing my light blue and dark blue substrate with a pure black substrate. Will it make a big colour difference in the RCS or just enough for me to be happy and make my substrate changing efforts worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Removing colored gravel from the tank is worth any risk IMO :hihi:

The shrimp will be fine, I have done many substrate swaps with shrimp present.

Black will really get the reds to pop!

feed light or not at all for a week just i case the tanks needs some time to stabilize.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

but what do you mean when you say:
"feed light or not at all for a week just i case the tanks needs some time to stabilize."

AND

does the darker substrate make the the RCS "redder" because of the colour contrast or do the RCS actually change according to the colour of the substrate ;o??

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

And what do you mean when you say:
"feed light or not at all for a week just i case the tanks needs some time to stabilize."

Also, does the darker substrate make the the RCS "redder" because of the colour contrast or do the RCS actually change according to the colour of the substrate ;o??
If you are worried about your tank needing to re cycle from a loss of bacteria, feed light so your bacteria has enough time to re populate and manage your bioload / nitrates.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are worried about your tank needing to re cycle from a loss of bacteria, feed light so your bacteria has enough time to re populate and manage your bioload / nitrates.
do you think I can leave a shot glass full of my old substrate in the tank for about a week too as an alternative :p ? seems a bit more simple.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Removing colored gravel from the tank is worth any risk IMO :hihi:

I have never understood why people buy this type of gravel.. Most people like NATURAL looking tanks.

But to the original question, YES..I switched from (sand PFS) to black sand because the sand was washing out the color of my cories. Now they are back to their natural colors.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

does the darker substrate make the the RCS "redder" because of the colour contrast or do the RCS actually change according to the colour of the substrate ;o??
I think the shrimp actually get a little more red, they try to blend in with the environment. Dont expect a drastic change in redness though. may not be what you expect.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I think the shrimp actually get a little more red, they try to blend in with the environment. Dont expect a drastic change in redness though. may not be what you expect.
Basically 'comfort' = color. Black makes them more comfortable, but it is not a direct color factor. you can have black substrate and uncolorful shrimp based on other factors. Black is just an additional way to increase color through comfort.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so it isn't colour contrast that will make RCS colour pop? they'll actually adapt to the colour change of substrate? cool lol.

I'm going to go buy the black colour version of the gravel I currently have and get to changing [probably this friday]. Thanks for the replies & helping me reach a decision :) !

P.S: I might update the look of my tank if it looks drastically different lol.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Agreed, it took about 2 months for my cories to regain their colors (from PFS to black sand)

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
so it isn't colour contrast that will make RCS colour pop? they'll actually adapt to the colour change of substrate? cool lol.

I'm going to go buy the black colour version of the gravel I currently have and get to changing [probably this friday]. Thanks for the replies & helping me reach a decision :) !

P.S: I might update the look of my tank if it looks drastically different lol.
the gravel plays a part, but the quality of the water AND lighting play a big part as well. even the food can contribute to the color

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
I don't have any substrate in my 10 gallon and thr RCS still are dark red. I do hav a large piece of dark driftwood so that might be inducing them to darken

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.