The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to the game. I got my first bloody mary shrimp (one dozen) a few days ago (December 11th) .

I made a mistake though... in my excitement, I replaced as much water as I could in the tank with 7GH/3KH/180 TDS water, but I didn't measure in the tank after adding it. I guess because of the long cycle the little water there was pretty hard and the parameters ended up at 10GH/4KH/265 TDS. I didn't realise this until after adding the shrimp.

I drip acclimated the shrimp for 3 hours. The next morning there was one dead shrimp... one of the smaller ones. Yesterday I saw another poor little guy lying on his back/side occasionally jumping vigorously. I assume he's trying/failing to molt? I don't see him this morning.

There is one molt in the tank, so I'm guessing at least one shrimp has molted successfully.

How bad is 10GH and 260-something TDS? Should I leave it for a while and let the shrimp get settled? I have very soft tap water so I could bring it down with that, if necessary. I raise the hardness with Salty Shrimp GH/KH.

I should also mention, some of the shrimp seem a little sluggish? Some swim around the tank happily, but I see some shrimp not moving at all, occasionally. Not sure if this is normal in a new tank or not. Most of the time they seem to be at least moving their legs to nibble.

Otherwise parameters are good, no ammonia or nitrites. <10ppm nitrate. 7.4 PH, 73.5degF. Tank is 5.5 gallon with sponge filter and heater. I use Prime and Salty Shrimp GH/KH.

Thanks for any help!
NSD

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
If the shrimp are imported, you have a higher chance of die-offs. If they're juvies, they are more likely to acclimate.

The parameters are fine. They can live in softer or harder water.

I would recommend removing the heater though - it's not necessary for shrimp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts