The Planted Tank Forum banner

should I be worried by this worm?

828 4
first timer here on the forum. hope i'm posting on the right page.
I have a dirt planted 5 gallons tank that I set up 6 days ago. it has a heater but no filtration. I am planning to put shrimp and snails in a couple days. Today, I spotted this little guy. I've read online that they're basically harmless, but I still don't like it. Do you think the shrimp will take care of him? should I try to remove it? should I forget about it?
https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.belanger.56/videos/1920269731324862/
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
got a lil pico tank- same set up, heat and no filtration.

hate to break it to you but unless you plan on not having substrate and thus, able to suck up any debris/waste daily- then you will get worms living in your tank.

at least that’s my experience- they aren’t preventable they are in all tanks we just don’t see them until there are too many not to see.

guess they come from or foods and such we feed our fish and shrimps.

i think they are more noticeable in a small shrimp tank since there is less area to be hidden in

but this all just IME, might not be same for you or anyone else 🙂

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes I def agree with GabeBfreshe, they're most likely in every tank but just hidden from view most of the time!
I've spotted two of the same over the years, both after water changes when the substrate's been moved around with my gravel cleaner.
I'd be worried if I saw more at the same time because then you know there's a lot more in the tank!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.