The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first real foray into planted tanks. I ordered a 24 plant assortment from aquariumplants.com, because I wasn't sure what I wanted, and I figured that a variety would give me a some good hands on experience with more plants than i could get at the LFS. They came in thursday (1/18), and I didnt have a lot of time that night, so i ended up just planting the bunches. Last night (1/19) I went through them all and separated the bunches and planted them "garden style". I know it isn't pretty, but my goal right now is to learn how to grow plants, rather than aquascape.

75 gallon tank, been setup for about 2 weeks. Weekly 30-40% water changes.

i have only added Seachem Flourish, and the tank is being lit by 4 40watt 6500k bulbs, no co2. filtering: fluval 303, 2 Aqua clear 200's, and a sponge filter that I am seeding for another tank.

a decent amount of fish (11 white clouds, and 16 serpae tetras)

so ... now the question: I am starting to see some yellowing, and the stems of some plants have turned white and sort of "cottony", should I be alarmed? Any water quality issues that might be causing this?

Don't know if this will really help ... but here is a look

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I suggest adding a little of each macro fertilizer, to go with the Flourish micro fertilizer mix. The cheapest are KNO3 and KH2PO4 from GregWatson.com. Check out the EI fertilizing method by searching, then dose about half the recommended amount for this size tank, and about twice a week instead of three times. You have just enough light that the plants will want food to grow, even if they grow slowly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will do ...

I am just worried that I will lose a bunch of plants, due to a water issue. I wasn't expecting the plants to thrive in my setup, but also wasn't expecting them to die.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.