The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved 20 CRS SS-SSS grade yesterday and woke up with 1 dead and the rest in a corner where my sponge filter is. I'm not sure if something is wrong or if I should be worried. I just want to be cautious so no more dies.

I drip acclimated them for 2 hours yesterday.

My parameters are as follows

TDS 170
Ph 6.5
GH 4
Kh 1 drop (not sure if this counts as 0 or 1)
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrates (do not test)
Temperature 70F/22C

Parameters has not changed since the time they were put in to now.

Note: Using two week cycled Amazonia new. I know they say cycle 4-6 weeks but my tank has been hitting 0 nitrites and ammonia since the end of the first week. I have been checking it every other day and I haven't seen ammonia levels going up.

They were pretty active yesterday when I put them in. My tank is a long and narrow tank so there's a lot of surface area for them to swim around but for some reason there all on the sponge filter. I know the filter has goodies for them to eat but is this normal? There's maybe about 1-2 CRS not on the sponge filter and out and about in the tank at one time. I fed the shrimps yesterday but no one seemed interested.

·
Super Moderator
15,311 Posts
Sounds like normal behavior.

You should definitely test nitrates if you're keeping shrimp like this.

What did the shrimp that died look like? Tough molt? Discoloration?

You could bump GH up to 5 if you wanted. I've found that sometimes helps in my Aquasoil tanks.

In my opinion, it's always best to let a tank run for several weeks before adding shrimp like this. Since you didn't and are sure parameters are okay, just stay on top of testing and definitely test for nitrates.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like normal behavior.

You should definitely test nitrates if you're keeping shrimp like this.

What did the shrimp that died look like? Tough molt? Discoloration?

You could bump GH up to 5 if you wanted. I've found that sometimes helps in my Aquasoil tanks.

In my opinion, it's always best to let a tank run for several weeks before adding shrimp like this. Since you didn't and are sure parameters are okay, just stay on top of testing and definitely test for nitrates.
The shrimp did not look like it was molting and there was no discoloration. the color matched the shrimp that were alive. The only difference was this one was curled up and dead. I'll be sure to go out and get a nitrate tester. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Did you seed the aquarium at least when you first set it up?

I put my CRS in a new tank but that was 3 weeks from the time that I set it up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would not worry too much if just one died out of 20, might just be shipping stress. Your parameters seem fine to me, maybe the shrimp are just getting used to the tank at the moment. Maybe do a water change just in case but I think you should be okay.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you seed the aquarium at least when you first set it up?

I put my CRS in a new tank but that was 3 weeks from the time that I set it up.
I'm not sure what seeding means but the period between when I first setup the tank until the yesterday when I put the shrimps in was two weeks

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I'm not sure what seeding means but the period between when I first setup the tank until the yesterday when I put the shrimps in was two weeks
Seeding means taking the dirty crud off of an old filter and putting it in your new tank. You can also use a mature filter (from an established tank) which would speed up the cycling. The goal here is to introduce "good" bacteria into your tank.

Like I said earlier, I threw my shrimp in after 3-4 weeks but my tank was running on an established filter + new filter. I also kept adding a decent amount of bacteria.

Remember that a shrimp's diet consists of 50% biofilm and 50% the food that you put in. Biofilm only grows in tanks that have been cycled (it's the slime etc. on your glass, plants, rocks).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh! okay. Then yeah it was a 2 period week.

I used 2 New HOB filters each had a sponge intake attatched to it. Each Sponge came from a sponge filter with already established media.

I also used a sponge filter with 2 sponges that also had established media.
I put in a ton of anacharis from a tank full of Koi where there was a lot of bioload.

I cranked up the tempurature to 84 degrees. I had this setup for a straight 2 weeks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I read that higher temperatures when cycling can culture bacteria a lot faster. My tank is at a stable 70F now lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts