The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, first post so be nice, please? :icon_smil
I've been reading here for months, but finally decided to post so I went and registered. I've noticed something in my tanks that at first did not make much sense to me but after some thought, I can now see the issue from two sides.
(yes, I know I'm simplifying the issue here quite a bit, but the principle is there)
Higher light = less need to put out huge leaves
or?
Higher light = better growth, therefore bigger leaves

here's the situation.
Tank 1: 55gal, 2watt/gal, 50% flourite + 50% gravel, dousing: excel.
Tank 2: 29gal, 4.5watt/gal, 100% eco-complete, dousing: lots of excel, iron, flourish, trace

Recently, about 4weeks ago, I moved a couple of red tiger Lotus and a few Kleiner bar swords from the 55 to the 29. For the swords, I trimmed off excess roots and some of the larger leaves which were covered with algae or decaying. For the lotus, I trimmed off the larger leaves, 5"+, that were heading for the surface.

Now, I've noticed that the leaves are much redder on the kleiner bar swords (makes sense, higher light, more macro/micro and more iron) but they're only putting out short leaves. The leaves are now only four inches long at most. The lotus is also putting out very red leaves but they too are very short, basically just laying barely above the substrate and aren't going for the surface at all. I can't complain about that bit, as I'm happy it's staying near the substrate. However, it's a little too flat for my likings and the leaves now are only about an inch or two wide.

I'm having a similar problem with glosso being very short (also hugging the gravel) in a 3rd tank but I figured I'd stick to just one question in my first post.

Thanks in advance
-me

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Ease off the lighting or play with your photo period some.

I have red tiger lotus in my tank too and its about and inch or two from the substrate, High light.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My suspicion is that the short leaves at the moment are more related to the plants being recently moved than lighting levels. If I recall, swords and lotus are heavy root feeders, so they are going through the aquatic equivalent of houseplant transplant shock. Give them another couple weeks to settle in and see if things change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts