Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how I would be able to research this, but was curious how many actual members (not bots, etc) have lasted 15 days or less before being BANNED.
Was a little surprised STAN510 didn't last a little longer...

·
Registered
166 Posts
He definitely brought the community together at least haha

I personally haven't really seen anything really ban worthy besides that infamous thread. Maybe like one or two posts that go against the guidelines(IE bashing a business)

I am curious as to why there are so many bots now though, I see at least one necro-post a day by some random person who just joined. Unless that's always been a thing and I'm just too new.

·
Registered
782 Posts
He definitely brought the community together at least haha

I personally haven't really seen anything really ban worthy besides that infamous thread. Maybe like one or two posts that go against the guidelines(IE bashing a business)

I am curious as to why there are so many bots now though, I see at least one necro-post a day by some random person who just joined. Unless that's always been a thing and I'm just too new.
I think the necro posts are because people see the related threads now at the bottom of the current post on the new format.

I recall hearing about one person who had previously been banned back when I first joined, but I think it's pretty rare.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do know back in the Micro-Tox days there were a few that got permanently banned. One of them, so I am told, created different accounts from the same IP address. guess that individual did not last long either. As @Discusluv already stated - pretty hard to get banned, but there have been some unique individuals....

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have been enjoying all the new 1 post members that are like "So much bad information lol" with no details of what theyre referring to, no alternate proposal, and no supporting info for whatever they think is a better approach.

If theres anything the process of learning teaches you, its that there is always more to learn, and someone else who knows more. Your own opinions often undergo a radical change as you learn more aspects of the same problem. So being sure everyone else is an idiot is a sure way to embarass yourself eventually :p

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
Was a little surprised STAN510 didn't last a little longer...
I wasn't.

I predicted his would be a short term membership on this site.

But not sure if he was banned or suspended?

I'm a moderator on another site. Interesting thing is most often you don't need to ban. Once you have the discussion and let them know you have deleted their posts and now they will be watched closely, many times they move on. Of course you get the parting tirade about how they have been mistreated, but that's expected. There is that small subset that just wants to go to war, but really that is not that often.

Funny thing is many times it turns out they have been banned elsewhere as well. Bad apples are bad apples.

Good thing is this site is well managed and in general the vast majority are good people who enjoy the sense of community here.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've been banned here. 🤥

Temporarily of course, for small reasons. I see people get banned for sales reasons. But most bans I see are on people who cannot adhere to the polite and friendly culture of the community.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
The Stan guy was going to get banned. I suspect he just wanted to stir the pot by immediately criticizing others for what is a very subjective facet of fish & plant keeping... He spoke his peace... Now we don't have to hear from him anymore...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've been banned here.

Temporarily of course, for small reasons. I see people get banned for sales reasons. But most bans I see are on people who cannot adhere to the polite and friendly culture of the community.
Lol “I’ve been banned here”

Seems crazy to get banned because of the sales rules. They seem straight forward; no external links, sellers pays PayPal fees, no auctioning.

Anything else sales wise worth noting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
I appreciate that the mods here seem fairly easy to provoke. This is a pretty low key hobby, not a debate forum, so why put up with people mucking up the place? I think when I was younger I used to be more reflexively in support of "free speech" on the internet, but now there's nothing I want more than a high wall between the content I want and the unfathomable weirdos who want blast their problem personalities on the rest of the universe.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I sometimes see posts from banned members that look very helpful and informative. I come across these posts when I'm searching for things. Makes you wonder how they fell from grace.
Same here. I remember a lot of frequent members when I first started. Now looking back, a lot have been banned. I'm usually overly cautious about what I say to others and if I sense some defensive tones in their reply, I'm usually apologizing right away. My intent is never to offend anyone.

·
Registered
778 Posts
One of the things I like the most about TPT is that our members are almost always very inclusive and supportive. It is very seldom that one sees active criticism of another members tank. Actually even pretty poorly thought out or executed attempts get support and positive reinforcement.

For that reason when someone rolls in with what seems like contentious and defensive comments that seem like baiting it seems sadly out of place.

My guess is that in this case the OP got warned and then returned fire. Probably not a good start for a new user...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
One of the things I like the most about TPT is that our members are almost always very inclusive and supportive. It is very seldom that one sees active criticism of another members tank. Actually even pretty poorly thought out or executed attempts get support and positive reinforcement.
That right there, cannot be said enough. A bit of positivity usually leads to greater things.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Like @Greggz, I'm also a moderator on an different (unrelated) forum, and I've also found that having to actually ban a user is fairly rare. In my experience, most of time, once I start a conversation with them, they quickly realize that they could have handled the situation better, and become apologetic. I usually just have to remind them that it's okay to discuss and argue opinions, but not okay to be disrespectful.

Since I've been active here (only a few months), I've seen two people get banned. One was Stan510, the other was someone who was making disrespectful comments related to the pandemic. That's it. That's pretty good IMO.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.