The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 40B is almost done cycling which means I can start thinking about purchasing fish, yay!

My tank parameters:

40 breeder
Eheim 2217 w/ in-line Hydor heater
pH: 8.0 (I understand this could change yet)
GH: 10
KH: 6
Temp: 78 F (can be adjusted as necessary, obviously)

My proposed stocking list, in order of proposed introduction:

4 x male guppies (already have, can be moved to a 5 gallon if necessary)
? x red cherry shrimp
8 x corydoras adolfoi OR habrosus OR hastatus OR pygmaeus (can’t decide, lol)
5 x otos
10-15 x harlequin rasboras
10-15 x rummynose tetras

Now for my questions:

I feel like I’ll want one more centerpiece fish. I love German Blue Rams and gold rams, but I’m not sure if they would do well in this tank? I’d also love a pair of juvenile angelfish but it seems like they’d be a great risk to harlequins and shrimp. Chances are I won't be getting a centerpiece fish until the tank is better-established and my funds recover from the initial stocking, but I want to plan ahead for compatibility's sake.

Does anyone see potential compatibility issues or have any recommendations for numbers and/or a centerpiece fish?

I’m also open to thoughts on the four cory species listed as well as other schooling and non-schooling fish selections I absolutely must consider (in your opinion). :)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The hastatus I have grown fond of, as one of my buddies breeds them like wildfire. He claims that they dance to the music (moreso the vibrations of the speakers). They also don't touch shrimp as often, but I can't say the same for your rasboras and tetras. Shrimp are naturally food for them so they might go after your cherry shrimp babies. I had a tank of white clouds with orange neos and a very low birth rate. After taking out all the white clouds, I had white cloud fry and 10x more shrimps.

With the GBRs, I keep mine with some adopted harlequin rasboras as well as rummynose tetras no problem. People will say that you should have soft acidic water for GBR but others will tell you to keep parameters constant (either with your seller/LFS/breeder or just keep your parameters constant). I got mine wild so my tank had to be soft and acidic, but I bought locally where a guy had reared his in neutral, harder water.

Best of luck to you :) A 40gallon is a nice size

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the cherry's unless you can get them for cheap. They will be come quick snacks for your fish.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Leave out the cherries. No way they're going to survive. I once had guppies with RCS and they nibbled at the adults and ate the newborns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-GALAXY-S4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice and opinions! Keep 'em coming! :)

I'm picking up a 5 gallon with glass lid that is going to replace my original 1.5 gallon cheapo-plastic-tank-that-started-it-all. It sounds like the consensus is that shrimp won't make it in my 40B, so maybe I'll set up the 5 gallon with shrimp and CPDS or another peaceful nano fish.

If I took the shrimp and guppies out of the equation, would small juvenile angelfish be safe to put in the tank if the tetras and rasboras were already established?

How about a pair of Bolivian rams for the centerpiece? Not as colorful as GBR's, but very curious and personable fish. They are also supposedly much hardier.
I like the way they look, too! Not as flashy as GBRs, but I'm sure they are much better in person. I'll have to add them to my research list, thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was playing around with AQAdvisor to tentatively test out some other species, and it came up with a warning that Bolivian rams may become overly aggressive to the cories, tetras, and rasboras when they start to breed. Is this true?

After some reading, I think C. Habrosus is at the top of my list for cories. It sounds like they are the most outgoing of the dwarf cories (without getting into a 50+ school).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts