The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking online at discus prices and I've been wondering , how are they gonna get to me . So if anyone has any experience on buying or selling fish online could you tell me the step by step process so I can know if I want to do it or not ?

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Shipping fish is actually not as difficult as it may sound.

Most people ship fish in plastic bags that are referred to as "breather bags". Co2 can escape the bag, and oxygen is absorbed into the bag. Fish can also be shipped in normal plastic bags, like the ones that fish are put in to at Petsmart or Petco.

The fish are starved for a few days before they are shipped, to avoid excessive waste in the bags.

Heat packs/cold packs can be used to keep the water at a stable temperature, despite the weather outside.

Generally, fish are shipped via express mail or priority. I had 10 plecos shipped to me via priority (2-3 day), and they all arrived healthy and hungry. Express mail is usually used for a larger quantity of fish, or fish that have a higher value. (or people who just prefer to not keep them in a box for days)

There is a man named Kenny Chung who lives in Daly City, California. He imports several hundreds of discus from malaysia each month and sells them INTERNATIONALLY to the public. His DOA rates are very low, even to continents on the other side of the world. (By the way, his discus are TOP NOTCH - if you're looking for a good, reputable discus seller, then he's the one to go to first)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.