The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are shipping by USPS priority mail and you use a FLAT RATE box, you will be charged the flat rate (or the recipient will be) regardless of the weight. I had a good friend to send me something with postage due.

ALSO......should you make the mistake of putting your contents in an EXPRESS MAIL box or envelope,......guess what? Yup, Express rate applies!

Thought I would pass it on.

chaz

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mail is an amazing thing. I can take a piece of paper, put a stamp on it, put it in a metal box by the road, and in a few days its on the other side of the country.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I always use USPS Priority boxes, although there are some cases when the stuff I am sending (moss) doesn't need to be sent by Priority, I just use First Class or Parcel Post.

I order all of my boxes at www.usps.com, I also order those Flat Rate Boxes where the price is $8.10 no matter how heavy the package is, which is good for sending substrates :)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
They will sometimes return the box--even if it has proper Priority Postage. I sent out a box of plants last yr, I guess, in a flat rate box, but had weighed it and put proper Priority postage on it. It was returned the next days for insufficient postage. Flat-Rate is Flat-rate. Rocks or feathers--it doesn't matter! :thumbsup:

Yup yup yup - although /sometimes/ they don't catch ya ;)

Those free boxes delivered right to your door are just TOO tempting to use!

:icon_redf
Just so Ya know: Those Free boxes come in Flat-rate and Non-Flat-rate.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I just got a flat rate box of crushed coral sent to me for $8.10.

Sender said it would have cost $30+ normally to ship. Flat rates are a great way to ship a lot of stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Yeah, when I gave away all that soilmaster select, it would have been between $15 and $25 (depending on the box) per flat rate. Gotta love $8.10!!! I should start trading in lead and gold and such...

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
If you are shipping by USPS priority mail and you use a FLAT RATE box, you will be charged the flat rate (or the recipient will be) regardless of the weight. I had a good friend to send me something with postage due.

ALSO......should you make the mistake of putting your contents in an EXPRESS MAIL box or envelope,......guess what? Yup, Express rate applies!

Thought I would pass it on.

chaz
These should fall under the area of common sense. There are boxes that are NOT Flat Rate boxes. Same size. Those are great for light bulky items. Flat Rate rules when sending anything heavy.

And if you use Express packaging you are going to pay Express rates. That's also common sense. In fact if you actually look closely at the packaging it tells you that.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
or...if you have flat rate boxes lying around, and you want to put light things in them, use the USPS stickers to cover the red medallion that says flat rate all over the box. I think there are like 4 of them on the box, and if they are completely covered, and the box is light, regular priority postage will apply.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.