The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have received literally hundreds of shrimp through the mail but I have little experience shipping them, let alone in the cold weather. I'm looking for tips and suggestions from those who have this experience and who can share it with those of us who don't.

How do you pack, how many shrimp would you include in each bag, what all do you include in your packing?

What carrier would you suggest?

Thank you!

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
I ship with or without heat packs VIA usps. Rarely have a death either way. Shrimp (except sulawesi) handle cold temps incredibly well.

I use insulated boxes and jam any extra space with crumpled newspaper. I only use heat packs if soneone requests them

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I've heard of RCS surviving being frozen over in an outdoor container.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recently shipped some "Chocolate" Cherries... and they died of apparent cold exposure in transit.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A 7x7x7 with not enough newspaper.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Average temps here in Upstate NY earlier this week was 30-45f. I received a package from Florida which left on Monday and got to me Wednesday. There were 12 fish total, all juveniles. 4 Kordon breather bags with the fish distributed between them. One 72 hour heat pack (I think - it looked generic with no printing on it) that was still warm when I opened the box. The total on shipping was $16.50 for this deal.

Here are some pix of the box and packing. I took them for that time when I too might want to ship animals. The guy I got them from, in my opinion, did it right. With over 900 transactions on aquabid he has 100% positive rating.

Just for your info, there's an active forum affiliated with aquabid.com, and they have as one of their forum topics: Shipping... I recommend you take a look over there too.

www.aquaboards.com/forum.php

Cheers

My pH on left, bag pH on right

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lots of good stuff at Aquaboards, too. I'm the newest member. :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Medium or O size boxes are good. Lined or not with styro doesnt matter that much. Ive done 30 shrimp in a single bag before no big deal. Heat pack if temps are under 40 just for safety, but like morph said.....they can handle cooler temps. Just pack with a space filler product. (Newspaper, paper towels, peanuts, bubble wrap) that shipping job moose posted is superior and will likely never fail. Packages do arrive perfectly safe and sound with far less effort and cost involved also though

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
That's what I liked about this guy's pack job. He used cheapo crap wall insulation that cost him about 50 cents, and a heat pack. The most expensive items were the breather bags. It was smart and effective.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 26 Posts