The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was 19 degrees here when I woke up. (-7C) How successful are the online shopping stores at shipping plants at this time of year? Does an insulated box, 2 day shipping, and a heat pack really work?

I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to post vendor reviews, so be careful, just be generic here. I've been trying to find one in the North East USA by clicking on contact us, and about us, etc links but I've not had any luck. I did find one in Kentucky I think. PM me if you know of one between NYC and Boston. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The cold is only half the problem, one of the main problems nowadays is USPS delays. I would ship plants out Monday/Tuesday and in certain times, it takes 7 days which is ridiculous.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't bother
They fail a lot of times
If you know a week of mild temperatures is coming up and the vendor promises to mail out on a Monday I'd do it otherwise wait till spring

They almost always freeze and get ruined and all the packaging and what not just adds to plastic waste

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Instead of you have hobbyist nearby buy plants off of them. You can always do bleach dips to get rid of snails
It's so much better this way

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll have to wait. I live in a rural area. My wife and I even tried to start an aquarium club a few years back. Zero interest. Oh well... Spring is coming.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll have to wait. I live in a rural area. My wife and I even tried to start an aquarium club a few years back. Zero interest. Oh well... Spring is coming.
I think there used to be one, but it shut down because of covid/lack of interest. Most people I know in the hobby really keep to themselves about it. At least the ones that take it semi-seriously(IE not rainbow gravel with fish that will outgrow their tank).

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think there used to be one, but it shut down because of covid/lack of interest. Most people I know in the hobby really keep to themselves about it. At least the ones that take it semi-seriously(IE not rainbow gravel with fish that will outgrow their tank).
But rainbow fish, that's another story! I just joined up a bunch of local Facebook groups, we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. We used to drive an hour down to Bratt just to go to One Stop for fish and plants we couldn't get locally. Haven't been in a few years though. But we also got plants (and fish) by FedEd this week from WetSpot and they all came OK

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
It was 19 degrees here when I woke up. (-7C) How successful are the online shopping stores at shipping plants at this time of year? Does an insulated box, 2 day shipping, and a heat pack really work?
99% of the issues in cold weather occur after the plants are dropped off and left out, not during transit. Assuming no big delays (delays should be less post-holiday) you can ship plants even without heat packs in cold weather. I've shipped plants to Alaska in the winter and if they were taken right in or shipped to a PO box there were no issues.

This also assumes they are correctly packed, etc.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi. We used to drive an hour down to Bratt just to go to One Stop for fish and plants we couldn't get locally. Haven't been in a few years though. But we also got plants (and fish) by FedEd this week from WetSpot and they all came OK
That's too funny, we have one of their branches here in town. Can't go to Brattleboro right now since VT has closed their borders.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's too funny, we have one of their branches here in town. Can't go to Brattleboro right now since VT has closed their borders.
Yes, it is a shame. THe Keene one is VERY different. But we also can't cross the river the other way. It has kept us safe, but it is hard!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Depending on where in NH you are Uncle Ned's in Millis, MA would not be too far a drive. I had guppies shipped from Alabama and they took 17 days to get to me USPS priority. No, they were not alive.

Bump: Depending on where in NH you are Uncle Ned's in Millis, MA would not be too far a drive. I had guppies shipped from Alabama and they took 17 days to get to me USPS priority. No, they were not alive.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Just curious, did you start it with a Facebook group or some sort? They're the most successful, IMO.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yup, facebook group, website and custom domain.

And we love Ned's. It is about a 4 hour round trip, but we can include Tropic Isle and Lovely's also, ok, Lovelys is a bit out of the way from those two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts