The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to order some plants from the swap and shop but I'm afraid they won't make it to me alive. I live in michigan and its been downright cold in the teens and some cases below 0.

Should I wait till spring or is it ok to get them shipped? Or can people put a heat pack in or is there a trick to it?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The plants I have received during the winter have always been fine, though some of the more delicate (and expensive) plants it may be best to wait until the weather turns a bit. Last week we had an ice storm, temps in the teens and 20s monday, tuesday and wednesday. I had some l. aromatica shipped on Monday and sat out on my porch in the cold for a couple hours wednesday afternoon. The plants were in great shape. As a matter of fact, it seems like I have more plants melt during extremely hot summer shipments rather than cold winter shipment...Some good insulation in the box (old shredded paper, styrofoam peanuts, etc) should prevent the plants from freezing, even in pretty extreme temps.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Spring can't be that far off.
Please..............................

I'm outside Lansing, MI.
I got plants ten days ago that were icy when they got here. They melted. I've got my fingers crossed for the roots. Some shrimp arrived Friday - shipped Monday - with a 10 hour heat pack, but they were cold and DOA. The plants were cheap and the shrimp seller refunded my money so I can't complain, but I just don't want to kill anything else with this weather.

It's bad enough that someone in Iowa has to work in the cold killing cows so I can have a hamburger.

wantsome, have you checked Mittenstatecichlid.com or Miapg.com for plants?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I also ordered plants shipped when the weather between the shipper and I was in the 30's. Three days later the plants have all but melted away, even the anubias nana. They were not insulated, but I'm hoping it's transitory. I'll wait for spring before my next order.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Yup, that's winter for you. I don't bother ordering plants unless I know that ALL the weather from start to finish is 40F to 80F. Even if you meet the mailman at the box, the plants could still have froze or melted en route.

·
Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for the help guys I had forgotten I made this thread so it took me a while to reply. I think I'm gonna wait till spring to order any plants. I'm gonna have to start searching localy.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Either wait or order from someone who uses styro or something equal, and a heat pack. I ship more plants in the winter than I do in the summer. My highest sales of the year are January and February. I have less losses in the winter, particularly since I started using thermal insulated bags. Cold preserves, heat kills. As long as the plants do not freeze, the cold can not hurt them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts