The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of two different designs/phrases for a shipping label for shrimp.

"LIVE SHRIMP"
Please Keep At Room Temperature

Temperature Sensitive Material
Please Keep At Room Temperature

OK, so I'm thinking #2 because I know there are a lot of idiots out there that would read the "LIVE SHRIMP" label and then shake the box or drop it just to be "cool" in front of their coworkers.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I agree. And not sure you really have any influence, or ability (can't think of word) to request that sort of special care. You can do Fragile, but room temp? It's not like they are putting it in a oven, or a freezer when shipping a standard package.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
It literally doesn't matter what you put on the label. Just pack everything in nice and tight and hope for the best.
So I would assume all shipping companies are the same. Crap get tossed here there and everything. The loaders are the ones handling and placing the package if there not a tightly packaged wall, everything will crumble when the trailer or airplane takes off damaging more than half the items.

Just pack it tightly. Insulate properly. And use the stiffest cardboard boxes you can find.

I once unloaded a trailer that had lady bugs crawling all over everything front to back on the trailer because the loader who loaded it put four small boxes with holes as a cornerstone box. And then put a freaking 30#box on that.

I always ship labeling live fish or tropical fish.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
anything with special labels will be pulled from the line and hand sorted and that will make it move slower. i have been shipping aquatic livestock for 10 years and never label boxes for that reason. if you must put something on it label it as " water sample" that will still let it move on the automated line and not go though hand sorting

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i also believe that anything labeled as live can be rejected. this was brought up on a couple forums lately and i think there is a new thing added to the postal code about live animals

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
... It's not like they are putting it in a oven, or a freezer when shipping a standard package.
You'd be surprised what sitting in a truck can do to a package, or sorting on a loading dock.

i also believe that anything labeled as live can be rejected. this was brought up on a couple forums lately and i think there is a new thing added to the postal code about live animals
+1 I know that the post started questioning live boxes now here at my office- whereas they never have before. Better not to put any label on it IMHO.

There are people at the Gvt level who want only private shippers and no USPS at all. So IMHO more stingent rules/regulations are going to be demanded more and more until it becomes impossible for the USPS to stay in business. But for now, it is still there and I'll still continue to use it.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Oh I had no idea about the live new regulations and rules. Can someone post a link?

So if we label it water test, what does that mean exactly. And what would you say to the post office.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Actually USPS did the best what they can to help us .They now deliver priority mail in 2 days instead of 3-4 how use to be.
For better package care they have to replace most of the workers there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.