The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had bad experiences with shipping CPDs. So I have shipped around 15 CPD eggs Tuesday for arrival today as an experiment. The eggs were newly laid so they should hatch either today or tomorrow. I put them in normal poly bags, double bagged. This is a first for me and I have no clue if this will be successful. The other person has raised fish before and has a set up waiting for them. We are both aware that this may fail. Has anyone ever tried this? I know you can mail kili fish eggs but is it possible to do this successfully with other fish eggs?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have not thought about anti fungus meds. Great suggestion. I have meth blue, but I think I would rather add alder cones or better yet a piece of Indian almond leaf.
The water don't really need to be aerated. I hatch my eggs in plastic cups under the bathroom sink. No air stone is needed.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great idea, keep them coming. I am putting a leaf in a cup of water right now.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i have shipped CPD eggs in the past with bad results... 90% of the time they wont make it due to the package being mishandle such as tossing around dropping them etc etc... although the bag doesnt break but the eggs seems to get banged up in the bag which kills the eggs before its hatched...

once you shipped the package, you have no idea what happens to it during the shipping. Label and mark your package will not guarantee the safety of the package also.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I know eggs get shipped world wide for other species, so there has to be a way. My thought would be to go through with the following:

1.) Get shipping boxes from your LFS
2.) Get an O2 tank
3.) Place Indian Almond Leaves or Alder Cones in host tank where eggs are coming from
4.) Remove eggs with tank water and place into a bag (poly non breathable)
5.) Fill back with O2 and seal
6.) Double bag the original bag (removes the corners of the bag that give a place for eggs to squish)
7.) Place eggs in LFS shipping box (cooler style) and use other bags of air to support the egg bag as to not have it bounce around
8.) Using live packs (heating or cooling depending on season) tape them to the lid of the cooler. If its a heat pack it will keep the box warm not hot since the heat will be generated and focused to the lid. If its a cold pack, it will be focused to the lid and not on the bag.

This is the process I used when shipping fish from HI to MD and from MD all around the US. The water being used is the main concern. You have to make sure that it has no Nitrates or Nitrites. In the process of opening a bag that has Nitrates and Nitrites the release of initial air change causes the pH to drop quick and Ammonia to rise. When it comes to eggs this is a big no no. There use to be a pad I use to cut and add to the bags. I forgot what it was called, but it would absorb all the organics. If someone remembers what it is, please let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.