The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my line of work I have regular access to plenty of rock, all different cuts and types. With LFS's around here selling rock for an average of $2.50 per pound it makes perfect sense to take some from a jobsite rather than buy some.

As I write this I'm standing in front of 20 tons of nice 3/4"-1" thick red flagstone that was labeled as slate. If I understand this right, flagstone is more of a cut style than a species of rock right? It's passed the vinegar test. Basic test, but not much more I can do out here. My questions are, does the red signify sandstone and does sandstone really deteriorate quickly? What is a preferred or recommended way to smooth sharp edges on stone?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well all the pics of slate I see online are gunmetal colored rock. This is red. Also, I chipped off a 1" squared piece and submerged it in a cup of vinegar. There was a small steady stream of bubbles from one spot for a minute or two and stopped. Is this no good?

As for rust, I read that rust is the oxidization of iron which would benefit a planted aquarium. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Yes slate can be red. There is a slate I know imported from china that is red. Just google red slate. Bubbles are probably trapped air. It should be fine if you want to use it. Lots of good rocks in Colorado. Plenty of red rocks. Tons of rock to choose from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts