The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went camping this past weekend with a few family members and changed it up a bit this year. I actually made use of my camera and took lots of photos of the stream bank foliage that grew everywhere along this awesome stream. The camp is called Soquel Camp up past Bass Lake. Very picturesque place and a must for anyone who loves the great outdoors. Anyway here are some of the shots that I took. Hope you folks enjoy them.

A little piece of Heaven

Wild flowers

Can you say, "Riparium plants" ? :D This stuff grew everywhere along the stream bank. Beautiful! This was a little brook flowing into the bigger stream creating a tiny waterfall.

This is the moss that grew around the waterfall area in the above shot. Kinda looks like mini x-mas moss, don't it?

close up of the moss

Flow is good with lots of CO2. I know because there is literally NO algae on the rocks.

More Riparium type plants/ferns. Love this stuff. If only I had a Riparium.

Moar... these little white flowers were AWESOME!

Picture Perfect!

More wildflowers

Rose moss?? I brought some home but the ride back killed the little baggy that I had. I should've kept it in a cooler. Oh well, next year.

Your guess is as good as mine what this plant is. It grew underwater and threw out these tiny white flowers. They were only found in one area of the stream and were all bunched together forming this little flower island.

This is one of my favs. The folaige grew on top of a dead log, that enabled the plants to overhang into the water. Scape idea anybody? :)

That concludes my plant pics for this year's Sierra trip. Thanks for looking!

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those pictures are awesome, Speedie! Find any cool native fish?
Thanks Zach. The only fish that inhabited this stream were brook trout. We caught a handful of them by using live grasshoppers as bait. I was too busy fishing to take any close up snaps of the beautiful fish. Now I regret I didn't. The only fish picture I took was of my son playing with his catch of the day lol. Some of you must be thinking, "Poor fishy". Don't worry... that fish didn't go to waste. I ate it! They're mighty tasty too. ;)

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'm asking for a nice DSLR camera for Xmas and I'm gonna send my hubby to you Speedie after he sees the price tag on the one I want, cuz it's all your fault! :flick:

Seriously, though- GORGEOUS pics- thanks so much for sharing them!

PS- can I steal your son for a weekend? He's so CUTE!

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, I've actually never had the opportunity to fish for trout, but I'd like to sometime. Glad the fish was tasty, ha!
Trout fishing is fun. I was kinda dissapointed the stream was fresh out of the bigger rainbow trout. Fish & Game usually stock this stream with a ton of rainbows. I guess this year we got out there too late and all the big fish are already in some happy campers stomachs. :tongue:

I'm asking for a nice DSLR camera for Xmas and I'm gonna send my hubby to you Speedie after he sees the price tag on the one I want, cuz it's all your fault! :flick:

Seriously, though- GORGEOUS pics- thanks so much for sharing them!

PS- can I steal your son for a weekend? He's so CUTE!
hahaha if you were local, we actually need a babysitter badly :help:.

You can tell your husband to contact me anytime. I'd be glad to steer him in the "right" direction into buying a nice Canon, rather then being like all these Nikon fan boys sporting their Nikons :tongue:

Nice snaps, thanks for posting!
Always happy to share man.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
hahaha if you were local, we actually need a babysitter badly :help:.

You can tell your husband to contact me anytime. I'd be glad to steer him in the "right" direction into buying a nice Canon, rather then being like all these Nikon fan boys sporting their Nikons :tongue:
Move to Florida!! I WILL BABYSIT FOR PLANTS AND FISH (and photography lessons...)! Where else ya gonna get an offer like that? :icon_smil And who needs REASONS to move to Florida, anyways?

And hahaha about the Nikon comment- I've already told him I want a D40. :flick:

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Move to Florida!! I WILL BABYSIT FOR PLANTS AND FISH (and photography lessons...)! Where else ya gonna get an offer like that? :icon_smil And who needs REASONS to move to Florida, anyways?

And hahaha about the Nikon comment- I've already told him I want a D40. :flick:
I would love to move to Florida but I'm scared to death of Hurricanes :help:. Then again one can say why are you living on top of the San Andreas fault, right? haha Maybe I'll have to visit one of these days to see if I like it there.

Why Nikon? They got glass that is way over priced compared to Canon, and they're menu controls are all outta wack :tongue:.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Mostly b/c I've had soooo many different people recommend that particular model to me as a really good beginner-level DSLR?

And here in Naples honestly we rarely get hurricanes. Geographically we get a lot of protection from the Cuban mountains.

I'll take hurricanes over earthquakes, tornadoes, and snow ANY day of the week and twice on Fridays!

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mostly b/c I've had soooo many different people recommend that particular model to me as a really good beginner-level DSLR?

And here in Naples honestly we rarely get hurricanes. Geographically we get a lot of protection from the Cuban mountains.

I'll take hurricanes over earthquakes, tornadoes, and snow ANY day of the week and twice on Fridays!
Yeah honestly I'm scared to death of the next "Big one" here in CA. Thank god I don't work in a high rise building or anything over 2 stories. I'm mainly worried because we live in a 2 story apt on the 1st floor. I gotta move like NOW to a house.

If you want entry level DSLR, you can't go wrong with any of the Digital Rebels. I'd recomend the t1i, t2i, or t3i depending on your funding. You can upgrade to the better prosumer bodies or even the pro bodies later when you've mastered the entry level unit.

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Anthony.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very nice pics, postcard worthy
Thanks Ashok.

----------------------------------------------------------

Here's a picture of me attempting an Olympic dive at the swimming hole :help:.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice pics! Reminds me, I am going to spend this weekend at (a totally over-crowded) Yosemite.

Woah, that last pic looks dangerous.
Thanks Thomas.

Dude... don't got to Yosemite! haha You'll be lucky to actually find a parking spot when you get there. You gotta post up for days just to get one. It's a tourist zoo up there lol. If you do go, good luck and HAVE FUN. Take lots of pictures!

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice pics Nick. Love the extended exposure river flow shot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Thanks Malay.

Glad you noticed the longer exposure setting on there :proud:. It was early in the morning and the lighting was perfect for that type of shot. Low ISO, I forgot if it was a 5 or 10 sec shutter..., f9 aperture, using a tripod, and CLICK!

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
hey that looks like fun....Nice pics...looks like there were plenty of plants you could have collected for a High Sierra Biotope Riparium....

...and off topic...but I also take a clipper to my son's head monthly...I think most Asian boys gets a nice #2 or #3.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.