The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before I had planted tanks, I had used Purigen and really liked it, so I decided I'd throw some into my planted tank filters and see if I noticed any benefits. Since my two tanks are small, a 45p and 60p, I figured I could divide my 100mL packet into two. I thought I should share this easy way of “welding” and dividing the plastic pouch into two packets so there’s no need for additional media bags. Basically, I just carefully divided the media into two partitions, then placed a metal ruler between the two sides where I wanted to make the seam, placed waxpaper over the edge, and then ran a hot iron over that spot. It worked well on one side, but the other melted a bit too much, so I just trimmed off the damaged part, flipped it over to the side of the ruler that worked better and then was able to close that edge as well. Do this only if you have a Purigen pack to spare, don’t yell at me if it doesn’t work, haha.

As for regenerating Purigen - in the spirit of saving money, after you do the bleach treatment, do you have to use 2 tablespoons of prime to 1 cup of water to dechlorinate it or can you use the same ratios with let’s say 1/2 a tablespoon of Prime in a 1/4 cup of water, or just enough to fully submerge it?

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the past, before planted tanks, I used it for water clarity and it really worked for that. This time around I’m adding it because it gets rid of “nitrogenous waste”, and am mostly curious to see if I notice anything. I just added it to my canister today.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.