The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a few months back, I had a problem with purchasing dwarf neon rainbowfish from a reputable store. They looked super healthy but within two days of introducing them to my tank, my prized angels that I spent over $100 on for 4 juveniles (really nice ones from one of the awesome angel breeders online) all contracted so flagelates and stopped eating. It took weeks of efforts with metro and patience but I cured all but 1 angel. I never want to have that kind of issue again so since that incident a year ago, I quarantine everything.

So I'm dedicating this thread to quarantine procedures. Please share your quarantine procedures you use. Tanks? Size? Length of quarantine? Medicines? Food? Etc...

This should be very helpful and I feel quarantine information should be talked about more in our hobby.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
wkndracer had an awesome post about his quarantine procedure that I think everybody should follow. Quarantine period was probably around 40 days or so in a planted tank, with a list of possible preventative medicines used, the most prominent being flubendazole (which I now have thanks to him). There are also anti-bacterial and anti-parasite foods made by jungle labs that are helpful.

I'm still torn between a bare bottom tank and a lightly planted tank, as I believe that the planted environment will likely induce a lot less stress than just a bare tank, especially if you'll be keeping the fish there for 45 days or so.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Here you go:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/138137-quarantine.html

Great thread, wkndracer has outlined the Meds/timeline well. I completely agree we spend a lot of time,money & mental energy in setting up a display tank to risk not quarantine.

I'd offer a few points as options.

My preference are 20l tanks but, I've used 60gl. fiberglass tubs for big guys. I used basically bare tanks, filter & heater, a pc. or two of PVC depending on the fish type.size. I do add a generous amt. of Hornwart mostly floating. I have also held it down with PVC as this is a bare bottom tank.

I paint three sides of the tank and cover most of the front of the tank with brown paper from Grocery bags. I think this helps keep the patients calm. Something I did when I was breeding fish. I also keep a low light level.

I just observe for the 1st three days and slowly raise the water temp to 80. If they are bringing ICK with them I usually see in a few days. I do feed several times a day and syphon the bottom daily. Topping off with water from the display tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.