6. Giesemann Actinic Plus
7. Giesemann Midday
8. Giesemann Aquapink
9. Giesemann Aquaflora
10. Giesemann Aquaflora
https://flic.kr/p/2jBxMKV

The tank
https://flic.kr/p/2jBtw24

Any comments? It's quite bright with all the bulbs being ON. I'm actually looking for some darker look. Thinking about removing one of the flora bulbs and replacing it with a red bulb. Would it be too red?

BTW found a very interesting bulb
5200K, with large red and blue areas.

So curious how it looks like. Total lumen is low, about 2610 lm despite that green peak, so maybe purple-ish? That deep red looks delicious >:).
Quite pricey though, about $40 apiece.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
This is neat. Now I'm leaning more towards fluorescent than LED for my next setup.

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
BTW found a very interesting bulb
5200K, with large red and blue areas.

So curious how it looks like. Total lumen is low, about 2610 lm despite that green peak, so maybe purple-ish? That deep red looks delicious >:).
Quite pricey though, about $40 apiece.

Looks like this appox. Curve is a bit approx since x axis has no tick marks or guide points but
since KELVIN is "close" I assume peaks are close.

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
Jeff how did you get in here?? This thread is littered with T5HO bulbs:grin2:

"Keep your friends close and................."

Anyways spectrums are spectrums..
One of my "hobbies" is mental building LED arrays to match popular "other" lights..
Need to add the lights to my data base.
Want a copy?

I dabble in MH emulation as well..
Think it's funny when people say "nobody ever matched...."
Granted some diode nm's picked are really odd BUT they exist.. ;)

I annoy those people a LOT more than here.. :)

LED spectrum is actually better.. in many regards.

Sadly I've never had anyone "call my bluff" and build one.
I have no interest there. :)

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
Thanks Jeff!

So according to the color code, the color would be pink or light red?! Probably close to a flora-type bulb I guess.
Yes.. prob. light magenta..

Mercury green spike usually assures a fairly "whitish" look (RGB looks white).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes.. prob. light magenta..

Mercury green spike usually assures a fairly "whitish" look (RGB looks white).
Received the bulbs today.
You're right. It seems to have some slight magenta cast.
(The bulb is in the middle of two pink flora bulbs. The white one is a Giesemann midday/tropic bulb)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Nice thread

For a colorful layout with 4 bulbs I think I would something like Wong recommends like
2x Dennerle color plus
Ati purple plus
Dennerle special plant

However when I was creating my hardscape in the tank I didn't like the purple tint. With colorful plants in their it might be a different story and could be pleasing.

However what about a layout with only green plants and if you dig the deep greens / blueish overall look? I don't like it when greens are yellowish.

Did anyone every try to mimic the ada rgb solar look as in deep saturated greens + blueish tint on the walls? I think just plain 6500k bulbs are maybe a bit too yellow for what I want. I was looking into bulbs like this
sylvania Aquastar T5
JBL SOLAR Natur 9000k
Did anyone ever use those bulbs I mentioned? And what did you mix them with just 6500k or reddish bulbs like dennerle color plus maybe?

I don't see many bulb setups aiming for this. People don't like the look or t5 people usually have colorful layouts with lots of reds etc?

Reactions: burr740

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k

Looks nice man!

I wonder if for my taste I want a bit more blueish look and greens more 'green' not yellow (no reds plant in the layout).

Could you simply just swap a 6500k bulb for a 9000 - 10000k one? Or is it not that simple....

I do have some dennerle color plus and ati purple plus wonder if they could be swapped to mimic your kz fiji purple and Giesseman super flora.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Looks nice man!

I wonder if for my taste I want a bit more blueish look and greens more 'green' not yellow (no reds plant in the layout).

Could you simply just swap a 6500k bulb for a 9000 - 10000k one? Or is it not that simple....

I do have some dennerle color plus and ati purple plus wonder if they could be swapped to mimic your kz fiji purple and Giesseman super flora.
It really is that simple. You can use a 10k or even an ATI aquablue special to make it more blue. Getting reds red and greens green is easy, getting definition between different shades of red and green is the hard part. The aquablue special really makes greens pop but doesn't bring out different shades.

I would consider the purple plus the same as the fiji purple for our purposes. Not sure on the Dennerle as it's not available in my part of the world.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
It really is that simple. You can use a 10k or even an ATI aquablue special to make it more blue. Getting reds red and greens green is easy, getting definition between different shades of red and green is the hard part. The aquablue special really makes greens pop but doesn't bring out different shades.
I've never liked the 10,000K bulbs.

Not sure why, just messes with the color somehow. Especially the greens. But as always, that's just my eye.

Much prefer a purple or Actinic. Mostly due to color separation.

But really, this is all personal preference. The best thing to do is take pics like you have done. Then you can pinpoint the differences and figure out what best suits your eye. Seeing side by side is worth the effort.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
I've never liked the 10,000K bulbs.

Not sure why, just messes with the color somehow. Especially the greens. But as always, that's just my eye.

Much prefer a purple or Actinic. Mostly due to color separation.

But really, this is all personal preference. The best thing to do is take pics like you have done. Then you can pinpoint the differences and figure out what best suits your eye. Seeing side by side is worth the effort.
I think I'm still running an old wave point 10k in one of my 4 bulb combos so it beat out the 6400k at some point. I usually would agree with you though. I am itching to get an actinic to replace my blue plus in the other 4 bulb combo at some point.

I agree that it is 100% personal preference and I even like to change it up once and a while just for something different.

·
Registered
12,332 Posts

You know they sell green bulbs..
Just get a green blue and red tubes.
Throw in a 6500k to complete

Reactions: Nigel95

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
@Nigel95 the purple plus was also too purple for me. When I substituted that for a true actinic bulb the greens really began to pop!

I am running:

Giesemann flora
PureBloom (like a 660 bulb)
420 actinic
Zoomed flora

Here is what the tank looks like. Pretty true to colors I see.

Nice colors overall, I like the greens as well here.. maybe a bit less yellow shades would be my preference.

However in your tank I can still see a purple tint on the background and hardscape. Are you okay with this or does it mean if you try to tweak the purple tint to more neutral that you will have to sacrifice some color pop in your tank?

I also make videos of my tank when I work in it so to make it more complicated I also prefer to have my skintone accurate. But this can be done in post and wb on camera so I think I should aim that it looks like I want in real life.

It's hard I think with research on the internet which bulb will suit me perfectly. Guess I have to buy and try. Don't you guys have a big pile of tubes that you never really use lol?

Currently I have
2x dennerle color plus and spectrum of that one here
dennerle color plus by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

1x dennerle special plant and spectrum of that one here
dennerle special plant by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

1x ati purple plus and spectrum of that one here
atipurpleplus by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

6x 865 osram and spectrum of that one here
osram 865 by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

Was planning to swap those 865 osram for Philips 965 guess the 90cri would definitely help also maybe with video work with the higher cri..

Spectrum of that on here
philips 965 by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

While the osram 865 looks very neutral and good to me while making the hardscape I am not sure yet how it will look with plants. Heard 6500k might be a bit too yellow?

Than I had the idea to buy some to add more blue in the mix (I don't mind some blue tint on the walls but I don't like purple)

Sylvania Aquastar 10000k Spectrum of that on here
T5-SYLVANIA-AQUASTAR-10000K-2463_1 by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

Another option is JBL Solar Natur 9000k (expensive bulbs but if it works....)

Spectrum of that one
jbl solar natur 9000k by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

So in short lol... have to buy bulbs and just 'try'. However which bulbs are worth a try for my goal so I don't buy ones that will never be used maybe... What in your opinion should I add to my bulb collection to try?

My goals for next layout and t5 bulb combo

• Different shades of green plants / moss
  • Make colors of Bucephalandra pop (greenish / blueish)
  • Simulans fish
  • No yellow tint but I don't mind a blueish tint, like that actually like ADA RGB Solar makes the green really pop and the walls are blueish.
I was thinking about to buy some Philips 965 and Sylvania 10000k ones. But @Greggz doesn't like this ones. Why you don't like the blueish tint on the walls or what does it do with the colors? You like it a bit warmer?

What @jeffkrol said looks a good idea as well a red, blue, green and white bulb. However my dennerle color is more pinkish and the ati purple plus is purple would those ones act as a red and blue one or definitely not? The osram 865 has quite some green in it. I tried yesterday a combo of dennerl color plus + ati purple plus + 2x osram 865 but was still a big purple tint visible on the seiryu stones..

Also tried following combo
dennerle special plant
dennerle color plus
2x osram 865

With this combo walls looked nice but slight warmish tint not sure if I like this setup with green plants...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
You know they sell green bulbs..
Just get a green blue and red tubes.
Throw in a 6500k to complete
I never got around to putting a 6500 tube in but green tubes are very over powering. They also make greens pop but have zero ability to separate shades of green.

Here are the 4 examples I have pictures for, I think adding a white might help in the 4 bulb combo. I wasn't impressed at all with the green bulb though, one day I will dig it out again to see other combos.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I was thinking about to buy some Philips 965 and Sylvania 10000k ones. But @Greggz doesn't like this ones. Why you don't like the blueish tint on the walls or what does it do with the colors? You like it a bit warmer?
I probably should have qualified that blanket statement a bit.

I have swapped out bulbs loads of times looking for the "right" combination. Now that "right" combination is just what looks best to MY eyes.

I've put various combinations together and swapped a 10,000K with a Giesemann Super Purple, and an Actinic. I've always preferred the deeper richer color of the Purple and Actinic. Yes, maybe warmer is a good way to describe it.

But again, that's just me. Maybe with the right combination a 10,000K would be perfect, just haven't found it. And so much of this is personal preference. Burr prefers the Powerveg 633, I prefer the Powerveg 660. It can become a fine line and we are talking about very subtle differences.

161 - 180 of 221 Posts