The Planted Tank Forum banner

201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'll need to look through my notes, but I feel like somewhere in this thread I must have posted a similar setup to what you mentioned.
Another fine example of the need for a "bookmark" option on the forum. Nearly every single time I get on here, I end up having the need for a bookmark option. I'm not sure how hard it would be to build one into the forum but it sure would be nice. Over on reef2reef I have a mountain of bookmarks with individual titles for each one for very easy referencing.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk Pro

Each post generates a unique URL which you can bookmark in your browser - here's the URL from your post

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11390371-post200.html

Right-click over the link in the upper right of the post to grab the URL...in your post's case it's where it said 'post #200 of 200' (at the time I wrote this)

This works on laptop/desktop....not sure about mobile

Maybe not the simplest/most elegant but better than nuthin'

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I found a combo that makes me happy for a while with a reasonable PAR
for the time being (90 ish at substrate).

Pure Bloom
Flora Sun
Pure Par
Flora Sun

First off thanks for all the help so far, it's greatly appreciated. Was this the bulb comb you mentioned? If so what would you rearrange for a 4 bulb combo. I would also love more recommendations before I place an order.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I think I found a combo that makes me happy for a while with a reasonable PAR

for the time being (90 ish at substrate).

Pure Bloom

Flora Sun

Pure Par

Flora Sun

First off thanks for all the help so far, it's greatly appreciated. Was this the bulb comb you mentioned? If so what would you rearrange for a 4 bulb combo. I would also love more recommendations before I place an order.
Yeah, this is probably it. Just note the flora sun is not an agromax bulb and will come from a different source. Running this with 4 bulbs I would just remove one of the flora sun bulbs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'll need to look through my notes, but I feel like somewhere in this thread I must have posted a similar setup to what you mentioned.

Each post generates a unique URL which you can bookmark in your browser - here's the URL from your post

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11390371-post200.html

Right-click over the link in the upper right of the post to grab the URL...in your post's case it's where it said 'post #200 of 200' (at the time I wrote this)

This works on laptop/desktop....not sure about mobile

Maybe not the simplest/most elegant but better than nuthin'
@rzn7z7 - thanks for the heads-up! I am aware of the bookmarking option when using the PC/full website. The problem is that is not an option on Tapatalk/mobile. I use Tapatalk greater than 95% of the time when on the site. I specifically went with Tapatalk Pro based on a strong recommendation from a friend and the idea that, IMHO, the mobile platform lacks functionality in a big way.

But, like you said, it's better than nuttin'!

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk Pro

·
Planted Tanker
5,959 Posts
Sharing this post from my journal. I ordered a round of new Agrobrite bulbs. HTGSupply has pretty good deals on 4-packs. Got 4 ea 3000K, the red Pure Bloom and the purple-ish Pure Par. For the money at under 10 ea, you really cant beat these, especially if you run as many bulbs as I do over several tanks. Dont worry @Greggz Im still down for the PV. :p

Also grabbed two of these led T5. I dont think they've been out long, Ive never seen then before. Has 450 blue, 660 red, and 5500K. Could be a good bulb if the color looks right.

https://www.htgsupply.com/products/agroled-isunlight-led-t5-tube-bloom/

Here's the current 6 bulb on the 75 soil tank

Left, which is the front, to right: Agromax Pure Bloom, ZooMed 420, Powerveg 660, TrueLumen Flora, Wavepoint UG, 6500K. Whats missing is the 3000K. When the new bulbs arrive I'll put one of those somewhere in the middle and ditch the 6500K. Its just there for lack of a good bulb atm

Will update on the new LED bulbs...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #206 (Edited)
The weather outside is frightful so...played with the tank a bit. Can't say I ended up with a different combo but here are some comparisons.
1. Green-3k-blue plus-660nm

2. Green-10k-blue plus-660nm

3. Fiji purple-blue plus-aquaflora-620nm

4. Aquablue special-fiji purple-aquaflora-6400k

5. Aquablue special-fiji purple-aquablue special-3k

6. Aquablue special-fiji purple-660nm-6400k

7. Aquablue special-3k-aquablue special-660nm

8. Aquablue special-3k-aquablue special-3k

9. 6400k-aquablue special-fiji purple- 660nm

10. Blue plus-3k-aquablue special-fiji purple-aquaflora-620nm

11. Blue plus-3k-aquablue special-fiji purple-aquaflora-6400k-aquaflora-620nm

12. Blue plus-3k-aquablue special-fiji purple-660nm-6400k-aquaflora-620nm

13. 3k-Blue plus-green-3k-blue plus-660nm-aquaflora-620nm

14. 3k-Blue plus-Aquablue special-3k-aquablue special-660nm-aquaflora-620nm

15. 6400k-6400k-6400k-6400k

16. 6400k-aquablue special-6400k-6400k

17. 6400k-aquaflora-6400k-6400k

18. Zoo med flora sun-6400k-fiji purple-660nm

Note that #3 combo has a 4 bulb split between the lights and that's how the front and back colour are so different. I find green t5ho bulbs to be overpowering on any 4 bulb combo I have tried.

Edit
15-18 are not great pictures and don't really do the colours justice since they are washed out. My camera was on similar settings and position but the white bulbs are a brighter look and should have adjusted the exposure. 18 is a dim looking combo and still got washed out so not sure, they will have to do though. The Sunblaster 6400k is not the best "white" bulb and probably can do better with Giesemann midday. It did make the greens come alive in person.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The weather outside is frightful so...played with the tank a bit. Can't say I ended up with a different combo but here are some comparisons.

Note that #3 combo has a 4 bulb split between the lights and that's how the front and back colour are so different. I find green t5ho bulbs to be overpowering on any 4 bulb combo I have tried.
Thanks for sharing all of the different combos! Had to have taken some time to put this all together.

Some heavy diversity between some of the combos and a few that really stand out.

·
Registered
12,316 Posts

You need a baseline pic, like 4 6500k bulbs.
Good job, lot of work.

Reactions: Hendy8888

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Great set of pics! That is some serious work.

So which one is your favorite? I have to study them more, but first glance is 3, 10, 12.

And how are things going with the cloned Masterline dosing? Still low PO4 and K?

·
Planted Tanker
5,959 Posts
Here's a bulb update on the LED T5s. Gotta say I was pleasantly surprised at the color. They are strong too, 10-15% stronger on the par meter than a fresh 3000K (which is bright)

"Bloom spectrum 4′ lamps feature a combination of 450 nm blue, 660 nm red and 5,500°K full spectrum white diodes, and consume only 41 watts of power."

Here it is in a 2 bulb unit over a 50 gal, with a Geisemann Super Flora

105 PAR at the sub. My par meter is a old Hoppy diy and I suspect not entirely accurate. Its a good reference point for me personally, but actual par may be more or less.

Here is with both LED, this is what it looks like by itself.

Par at the sub pushing 120

So decent color and powerful. I like it. I liked them so much I bought 2 of these - AgroMax 4 Foot T5 LED Bulbs - Bloom | HTG Supply

"3500K + 660nm red enhanced output for blooming plants"

Its a good bulb too, like a suped up 3000K. Its about the same strength as the iSun. Here is what one of each looks like.

Too warm as you'd expect, needs more blue in the mix.

Here it is with an ATI Purple.

PAR at the sub just over 100

I'll be using the 3500K in 4-6 bulb units, basically replace some 3000K with it. On the 50 gal Im running the iSun+Geisemann like in the first pic

Here's the iSun along with Agromax pure par, Truelumen flora, and Powerveg 660

Dutchy off-season :)

Here's the 75 gal Landen tank withTruelumen flora, iSun, Powerveg 660, ATI purple, 3500K LED, Wavepoint UG

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here's a bulb update on the LED T5s. Gotta say I was pleasantly surprised at the color. They are strong too, 10-15% stronger on the par meter than a fresh 3000K (which is bright)

"Bloom spectrum 4′ lamps feature a combination of 450 nm blue, 660 nm red and 5,500°K full spectrum white diodes, and consume only 41 watts of power."

Here it is in a 2 bulb unit over a 50 gal, with a Geisemann Super Flora

105 PAR at the sub. My par meter is a old Hoppy diy and I suspect not entirely accurate. Its a good reference point to compare, but actual par may be more or less.

Here is with both LED, this is what it looks like by itself.

Par at the sub pushing 120

So decent color and powerful. I like it. I liked them so much I bought 2 of these - AgroMax 4 Foot T5 LED Bulbs - Bloom | HTG Supply

"3500K + 660nm red enhanced output for blooming plants"

Its a good bulb too, like a suped up 3000K. Its about the same strength as the iSun. Here is what one of each looks like.

Too warm as you'd expect, needs more blue in the mix.

Here it is with an ATI Purple.

PAR at the sub just over 100

I'll be using the 3500K in 4-6 bulb units, basically replace some 3000K with it. On the 50 gal Im running the iSun+Geisemann like in the first pic

Here's the iSun along with Agromax pure par, Truelumen flora, and Powerveg 660

Dutchy off-season :)

Here's the 75 gal Landen tank withTruelumen flora, iSun, Powerveg 660, ATI purple, 3500K LED, Wavepoint UG

Thanks for sharing the info and pics!

I'm impressed with those T5 LEDs. Not much more money than a regular T5, with good PAR, less wattage and much longer life. They look like winners.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Great set of pics! That is some serious work.

So which one is your favorite? I have to study them more, but first glance is 3, 10, 12.

And how are things going with the cloned Masterline dosing? Still low PO4 and K?
My old fixture should be rewarded with some new standoffs to be honest. Anytime someone messes with their own light fixtures I seem to get an itch to change some bulbs.

My favorite is actually #10, the 6 bulb combo. I changed my mind today and left in #18 (similar to yours) for my AM combo and still running Burr's old combo for the PM. (3000k-blue plus-aquaflora-630nm) I need to pick up a 420nm to replace the blue plus though.

Macros are doing well enough to make a second batch for this month. Can't say anything rebelled except the GDA. It definitely hasn't helped the pinholes in the pinnatifida any.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
On my journey to continue to play with combinations, I did some more measuring of single bulbs in the same fashion I did about a year ago (above in this thread). Here are some results, which I found to be rather interesting. Each bulb was give 5 min to warm up before a reading was taken. The other readings from above are still valid aside from the 3000K, which was a bit stronger when measuring this time, so I added the new one below. Thee 3000K was also used for the past year also, so my guess is that either it got a bit stronger when burning in, or I did not let it warm up enough the first time I did it.

I'll be honest... I had forgotten about my testing last year, and really though the Giesemann Super Flora would be a stronger bulb.

Overall, pretty happy with how the new combo is looking right now (I'll work to get a picture later when I can), but am also excited to finally play with a Power Veg 660 and an added fixture(s) in the next couple of weeks.

This is what happens in winter time, more light, more playing! The good news is I have a great bulb assortment to keep color and lower the PAR in the summer months when I am playing outside!

·
Registered
174 Posts
On my journey to continue to play with combinations, I did some more measuring of single bulbs in the same fashion I did about a year ago (above in this thread). Here are some results, which I found to be rather interesting. Each bulb was give 5 min to warm up before a reading was taken. The other readings from above are still valid aside from the 3000K, which was a bit stronger when measuring this time, so I added the new one below. Thee 3000K was also used for the past year also, so my guess is that either it got a bit stronger when burning in, or I did not let it warm up enough the first time I did it.

I'll be honest... I had forgotten about my testing last year, and really though the Giesemann Super Flora would be a stronger bulb.

Overall, pretty happy with how the new combo is looking right now (I'll work to get a picture later when I can), but am also excited to finally play with a Power Veg 660 and an added fixture(s) in the next couple of weeks.

This is what happens in winter time, more light, more playing! The good news is I have a great bulb assortment to keep color and lower the PAR in the summer months when I am playing outside!

View attachment 1025532 View attachment 1025533 View attachment 1025534 View attachment 1025535 View attachment 1025536 View attachment 1025537 View attachment 1025538
Thanks for the work and results.

I don't know about anyone else but, since you correlated snow with tank time, I'm rooting for more storms in Upstate New York! ;)

·
Planted Tanker
5,959 Posts
@burr740 do the AgroMax LED T5 strips give off any shimmer? Curious how they look live on their own, and paired with fluorescent tubes in regards to shimmer effect. I do miss that a bit from my cheap LED days...
They do shimmer, its kinda subtle with just one but its there. The tank with 2 in a 6 bulb shimmers a little more.

Fun fact: These LED bulbs only work on fixtures with hard mounted receptacles (whatever you call it) My two cheap 24" units have the kind that slip onto the end of the bulb. That plastic housing is too small to accept the end of the LED bulb. Wish Id thought to check on that before ordering 4 of them lol

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
They do shimmer, its kinda subtle with just one but its there. The tank with 2 in a 6 bulb shimmers a little more.

Fun fact: These LED bulbs only work on fixtures with hard mounted receptacles (whatever you call it) My two cheap 24" units have the kind that slip onto the end of the bulb. That plastic housing is too small to accept the end of the LED bulb. Wish Id thought to check on that before ordering 4 of them lol
Curious. Do you like the shimmer?

I've never liked it that much but admittedly have never seen it over my tank.

In other news went to 7 hours of full light. Likely to all 8 pretty quick.

201 - 220 of 221 Posts