The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A central place to see everyone's t5 bulb combos. Post a FTS with a label saying what bulb types from to back. PAR data is a bonus and can be listed if you have it.

All the following FTS are taken with a LG V30 f1.6 ISO 100 exposure 1/80 WB 5000k. The 6 bulb combos are brighter then the 4 bulb combos since the same settings were used.

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k

Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora

Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

ATI Purple Plus/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k/ATI Purple Plus/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k/ATI Purple Plus/Giesemann Super Flora

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still like the Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora the best I think. I was surprised with how much red stayed with just the Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k combo. If it was a green plant only tank that would be my choice. It makes the green pop so well.

I still have a 10 000k, 2700k, ATI Aqua Blue Special and an ATI Blue plus to add to the mix. It's hard to add any blue or warm white in a 4 bulb setup I find.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
I still like the Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora the best I think. I was surprised with how much red stayed with just the Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k combo.
Agreed. That is my favorite too.

But really, all are interesting in their own way.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This might be an easier way to compare the colours. I will leave the other photos in post #1 as well because it lets you see the cast of light with open top tanks.

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k

Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ Giesemann Super Flora

Giesemann Super Flora/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/ATI Purple Plus

Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/Giesemann Super Flora/Sunblaster 6400k/ATI Purple Plus/Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400k/KZ Fiji Purple/KZ Fiji Purple/Sunblaster 6400k/ATI Purple Plus/Giesemann Super Flora

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
I took the opportunity to have some more fun with the Seneye PAR meter. Have been wanting to try some different combinations, so I broke out the bulb stash and went at it.

And I know this is of limited interest to many, as only so many of us T5 nerds are around anymore. But I think the idea of color of light and how it presents the tank does translate over to LED, if only that more control of color is better.

So below are nine pics with different combinations of bulbs. At the end is a chart showing the combinations for each pic.

Pic #1........

Pic #2.......

Pic #3.......

Pic #4.......

Pic #5.......

Pic #6.......

Pic #7.......

Pic #8.......

Pic #9.......

·
Registered
12,315 Posts
Is the a link that gives instructions on how to add pictures the way you guys have shown here?

you can downlod some to here directly to your "album".

Other than that download to an image sharing site (or personal webspace) and add the link by the picture icon.

This site hs gotten pickier as to which images they allow.. as you can see by the broken one in my above post..

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the a link that gives instructions on how to add pictures the way you guys have shown here?
I use postimages.org to host the pictures and then use the "forum hotlink" copy function and paste the code into a reply here. It formats automatically to insert a picture wherever you paste it.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
I will go with combo #4. Why are all the Super flora 54w bulbs sold out everywhere on the internet? Is there an equivalent somewhere?
If you mean the Giesemann Super Flora, I have not seen an equivalent.

And it's not the color, it's the PAR. I've tested lots of T5 bulbs, and Giesemann's are PAR beasts compared to everything else.

Now, in some cases it may be too much PAR for some tanks, so it's good to understand what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you mean the Giesemann Super Flora, I have not seen an equivalent.

And it's not the color, it's the PAR. I've tested lots of T5 bulbs, and Giesemann's are PAR beasts compared to everything else.

Now, in some cases it may be too much PAR for some tanks, so it's good to understand what you are dealing with.

I finally found some Giesemann floras. Going to try to mix that with the 660s.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will go with combo #4. Why are all the Super flora 54w bulbs sold out everywhere on the internet? Is there an equivalent somewhere?
Zoo Med, True Lumen, Wave Point, Red Sea, and Giesemann all have pink bulbs. I'm sure there's other brands I'm missing too. All will be slightly different from each other but once mixed you probably won't notice. As Greggz pointed out, the PAR output can be different from one manufacturer to the next.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Just reviving this one a little bit. This information has been extremely helpful as I work to put together a new tank that will be only T5HO (likely 4 bulb over 75 gallon). I didn't realize the color that the standard Sunblaster 6400K bulb can put out with the combinations based on the above posts.

I like the Giesemann Super Flora, as well as the Tropic 6500K. The Tropic 6500K looks to have a more desirable relative intensity graph than that of the Sunblaster (which seems only green heavy, with a slight yellow tick as well).

My initial thought was to run something like this (no order yet):

Giesemann Tropic 6500K, Giesemann Super Flora, Power VEG 660, Giesemann Super Purple

This give me some daylight, as well as 'blues' and 'reds' to balance each other out.

I can grab all the Giesmann from Bulk Reef Supply today- and should be able to source the Power VEG 660 from the garden center not too far from me.

Still learning here, and open to conversation and feedback!

Giesemann Tropic 6500K

Giesemann Super Flora

Sunblaster 6400K

Power VEG 660

Giesemann Super Purple

·
Registered
336 Posts
So after some calling around... it looks like the PowerVEG is being discontinued??? Still looking into it...
I like the PowerVeg 633 better than the 660. The 633 is the 1 that Burr uses if my memory is correct. I just purchased two of the 633 from a local hydro shop, no mention of being discontinued.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I like the PowerVeg 633 better than the 660. The 633 is the 1 that Burr uses if my memory is correct. I just purchased two of the 633 from a local hydro shop, no mention of being discontinued.
Okay, good to know. I feel like I recall a conversation where someone like the 633 better, and maybe it was Burr. Thanks for pointing that out. Still putting this together so the feedback is great!

Perhaps it was just my local hydro shop that was discontinuing them. My garden center said they needed to order 20 of them to get them in, so that was a no go as well. Amazon has them, but for $36 each.

I'll keep looking around.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Okay, good to know. I feel like I recall a conversation where someone like the 633 better, and maybe it was Burr. Thanks for pointing that out. Still putting this together so the feedback is great!

Perhaps it was just my local hydro shop that was discontinuing them. My garden center said they needed to order 20 of them to get them in, so that was a no go as well. Amazon has them, but for $36 each.

I'll keep looking around.

This is where i got mine https://www.bghydro.com/grow-lights...powerveg-633-t5-ho-fluorescent-lamp-4-ft.html. I had them shipped and they arrived packaged superbly. They used thick cardboard and bubble wrapped them individualy. I have purchased bulbs from a few different companies and these were by far packaged the best. Really thats the whole reason most don't buy bulbs online is they arrive broken.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts