The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i have a very shallow tank of only 12" but 5 foot long and only 8" wide, i have various plants in there with a twin 115cm power Glo fitting sat resting on the glass sliders, i only have 1x 54w Power Glo tube switched on at any point. Although i do not have temp issues, i do have plant growth and serious algae issues (lighting only on for 8hrs or less per day). I dont mind going down the CO2 route but think i need to sort the lighting out. I know the 54w Power Glo tube i use is designed for deep aquarium penetration being 18,000k. What tube/s are ideal for shallow long tanks. (i dont want to raise the light fitting because it blinds people sat in the living rm whilst watching tv, hence it rests on the sliders) i also dont want to have to buy a new fitting either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

This is what i have at the moment if the description is hard to imagine. The tank sits on a dividing wall between the kitchen and the lounge so it is only 8 inch wide.

Thanks vespers but i was hoping not to have to buy new a fitting but just exchange the tubes. Do you have any other ideas matey.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dundee, thats a good idea. Ive also just setup a home made CO2 system with yeast and sugar, what is the best way to disperse the bubbles, i have a CO2 ceramic diffuser but i cant even blow down it to get bubbles out so i doubt this yeast thing will do it so im just using a standard air stone at the mo. Could i connect the CO2 line to my canister filter? inlet or outlet.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Here is a cheap way to cut down on lighting intensity. go to the hardware store and get some screen material. Make a cheapo frame for the screen material by using wood strips you will also buy at the hardware store. Cut to size, sandwich the screen in between the wood strips, nail it together. Voila, you have a screen top that will absorb some of the light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks farrenator, think ill do without the frame and just tape it to the underside of the light fitting meaning it wont impead feeding, cleaning etc, top idea coupled with blacking out the reflector :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts